All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Spark test info

There are some nice color images here:
http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/241/...sting-metals-2

Some additional text here along with b/w image:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

Most good machine shop textbooks will have a color plate showing this test as well.

I always have done it with a grinding wheel, I don't know how to interpret results from a flap disc, I suspect they may be different. The Wikipedia entry does say the wheel should be coarse and hard, and that al oxide or carborundum are most often used.

Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

I don't even know that Pexto made one of these. Mine is an old Niagara. As I said they are cast. They break and chip. Cast does make a fair stream of sparks when ground with a hard stone, kind of straw colored instead of white like steel. In your picture, yours has some chips along the edge that is used for bending.

The pits came from being hammered on. It breaks out little pot marks similar to hitting a concrete floor with a hammer.

The only stakes with steel are the ones with inserts in them. Such as round shafts usually cast right into the base part. Some are held in with set screws. And some with steel plates cast into the top working surface like a anvil. (made to hammer on)

If you have to make it smooth again, just screw a 1/4" or thicker plate to the top with four counter sunk 1/4 allen bolts. Then grind edges to blend in with the original sides. Then you will have good folding edges again. If it is ever in the way, Which I doubt it ever will be, you can take it off.

Last edited by TheRodDoc; 08-23-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Here is the mess mine is in:

100_6536.jpg

100_6537.jpg

100_6538.jpg

It is cast for sure. I get a few sparks, but it's 99% dust.

I think I might give the All Metal filler a try. It would surely make it look better!

Still trying to figure out how to fix the wrought iron stakes. 3 of them are "separating".

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM

I have a lot of pexto and niagra stakes. Mdst of them have cast steel heads. I also have the stake that you have just purchased and mine is also cast iron, It is made for light edge work. The cast steel stakes are easy to weld up damaged edges and grind them to shape. I make use of them every few days and some onlt get used once a year but when you use it it is a life saver. Dutch
(315)866-3034
comstockmetalshaping.com