All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Default Tig Welding SUPER thin sheet metal

Whats about the thinnest sheet metal you would weld, 22 ga? Maybe thinner? Now whats about the thinnest metal you can think of? A Razor blade is what came to my mind. Now to further make this difficult lets put two razor blades together edge to edge with no over lap. I don't weld a lot of thin sheet metal so this was a little bit of a challange to me as well. I'm also not the best welder in the world !!

Ok so first I took two razor blades and held them in place with clamps, edge to edge, and started with a 5 AMP arc. The worked well for just flowing the edges together but I was using a 1/16 tungsten and a 1/16 filler rod because I didn't have any .040 sitting around. Well let me tell you that didn't work so great because I couldn't melt the filler rod and it caused me to sit in one spot to long. This is what it looked like.

So that wasn't working for me so I took some mig wire, .035 and used that instead and bumped the AMP's from 5 to 35. Then the problem turned quickly into how do I keep the edge from melting away so I can start adding filler rod. Then it came to me that I should put the filler rod on the metal and start my arc on the filler rod. What that would cause to happen is the arc would hit the filler rod, melt and puddle at all three edges of the razor blades and I could start welding. I then I found out that I was getting closer to the edge I needed to bad my heat off long before I got close. Here is the results of this weld...

Ok, next take! .035 wire, 1/16 tungsten, 35 AMPS. Put all my arc on the filler rod then back off the heat when I get about half way to keep the rear from burning out. This worked much better.

It wasn't as pretty as I wanted but I did it, so then I had to prove to all my shop buddies that come around that I did weld these together and not buy them off ebay... Can you even get them off ebay? HAHAHA

Next I think I will try welding two coke cans together. Being that they are aluminum that will be much harder for me hehe.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Default Two beer cans welded together with TIG

This is a bit more tricky than you'd think! It helps if you have an adjustable Hi-frequency. Position it to the cleaning side, not penetrating! If you have intensity adjustments for the Hi-freq, back it down or you will likely burn holes with just the Hi-freq. Make sure the cans sit directly on a freshly sanded table, be sure to blow off the grit and wipe it down.

If you measure the cans for thickness you will find they run about .005" on the sides, the bottom is a little thicker, and that's where I'd make the joint.
I've successfully done this before, and I used 1/16" filler. You just have to be very calm/still for this to work.

No, I don't have a clue as to where to market two cans welded together. Why would anybody do this kind of thing? For me it was a marketing technique. I used them to promote my shop. I've since considered using them for the same reason, but as a give-away at local car/motorcycle events. Kind of like a door prize, turn these cans back in to me and they are worth 1 or 2 hours free shop time.

Just me thinkin' ...

Dan Stevens
dba, Steelsmith
Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 PM

yea no kidding, I am going to start using the razor blades as my business cards. Well with my business cards. I haven't tried the cans yet but I want to do a pepsi can and coke can together. I'll give it a shot hehe.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 AM

What's next? Going to try to weld tin foil? l.o.l
Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 AM

You shouldn't laugh, we did weld aluminum foil that comes in a cigarette pack.

I layed the two pieces side by side with the ends level, used a pieces of copper on either side as a heat sink(think cheese sandwich) and with a Hobart TIG set on 3 Amps, fused the two edges together then flattened the foil out and laminated it in a pouch, you could see the minature weld in the center.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 AM

Ok so years ago i saw a picture of a razorblade welded to a bit of heavy plate standing up at 90' to the plate how about having a go at that
Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguyfordman View Post
What's next? Going to try to weld tin foil? l.o.l

On Ron Covell's TIG welding DVD (most excellent btw) shows him TIG welding a couple sheets of aluminum foil.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bspoke View Post
Ok so years ago i saw a picture of a razorblade welded to a bit of heavy plate standing up at 90' to the plate how about having a go at that

That would be a good challange, when I have time I may try that hehe
Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
On Ron Covell's TIG welding DVD (most excellent btw) shows him TIG welding a couple sheets of aluminum foil.

I have to say that I have had a few people say I should try it haha Does Ron's DVD's show the process of welding foil?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Razor Blades

The way it is commonly done by welder salesman (back in the day I was one), is to set the blades up in an upside down V, sharp edges up, then simply melt the sharp edges together in a fusion weld. Then you can flex them, show penetration, etc. You'd do this with the high end TIG to show control.

I always tried to sell the Hobart MIG guns against the Twecco. Hobart used much more flexible liners, etc. So I'd tie a knot in the lead and weld. I'd challenge them to do it with a Twecco - usually that would stop them in their tracks. But if not, I'd tie a second knot.

The trick is, don't pull the knots tight. Also you have to have the drive rolls set properly.

John