All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-11-2018, 07:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
The biggest challenge is what to do for a windscreen. The center height as measured on the glass is @29.75inches if that helps.
Mark: the leading windshield candidate I had was a C4 Corvette. It's real close in width (top and bottom) to the factory Miura windshield. The C4 windshield is fairly curved at the bottom and lays back at a fairly steep angle like the Miura.

The issue is that I now need a wider windshield for the 105.5% car. My measurements say top width of 47.25" and bottom width of 62.3". Ideas anyone????
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I'm in total agreement with Bob on this.

I'm sure you've started thinking about the body. I assume you are either going to have a wireform or other hard buck?

How difficult will it be to license and title? Windshield and side glass?
Kerry: yes, I will be making/using a buck of some sort. My metal shaping skills are getting better but no where close to being able to shape stuff without a buck to check against.

In Calif. the license/titling process for homebuilt cars is navigable but still a pain. I've been through it twice now and know what to expect. The thing that gets under my skin the most is the very large "use tax" check I've had to write for both my other homebuilt cars. Basically CA taxes you twice in this situation. You pay sales tax when you purchase all the pieces and parts that go into the car. Then DMV makes you show receipts for all the major parts, they add them up, and charge you a "use tax" on the total. I've tried to nicely explain to the DMV clerks that I already paid sales tax on these parts so I shouldn't be taxed on them again. They tell me they excluded the "sales tax" from their receipt summations and so I'm not getting double taxed. It's obvious to me that the clerks responses are straight out of their training manuals so DMV knows it's a bogus tax but they're the "mob" and can get away with extorting money from citizens. So I write the big check, leave DMV cursing under my breath, and talk bad about politicians and government bureaucracy every chance I get.

Windshield and side glass. Got any suggestions? Somehow I think finding a windshield of the right size/shape will be harder to do than the side windows. The Miura used fairly standard sized/shaped doors unlike the Countach.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
...Windshield and side glass. Got any suggestions? Somehow I think finding a windshield of the right size/shape will be harder to do than the side windows. The Miura used fairly standard sized/shaped doors unlike the Countach.

The only thing that comes to mind is to get some profile gauges close to what you want and head to the junkyard. Same with the side glass. I'm thinking a pickup windshield might be kind of close once it's cut to size. Pretty flat.

Regardless, I'd probably build the car around the glass you can find instead of having it custom made after the body is built. I read some articles in Street Rodder years ago when they actually had article that were not pure advertisements. Seems like the go to guy was named Timo in Finland and the price was 10K years and years ago. SEEMS like I recall he moved to California and opened a business.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 PM

I'd just lengthen it -- or maybe just add width from the waist down given your use of modern tires (width) and gaining an inch or two on each side. (but keeping the stock width from waist up) You could still keep it slab-sided (easier to shape the skins) or do a bit more coke-bottle flared and nobody would know the difference. I always thought the curvy shapes of the Miura demanded sexier fender shapes!

My limitation was seating position in the Miura -- not width itself. Use the C4 screen if you have no interior width issues and they are affordable. I think a reproduction Miura windscreen is about $2000 when pricing them a few years ago.

Glass wider than a C4 Corvette? Unknown.

Side windows? You could do Lexan. Or once you know the a-pillar profile (given your windshield itself) -- just find a fairly flat windscreen (pickup trucks) from something cheap and get them cut from that. Hardest thing isn't cutting the glass but in beveling the edge and polishing it when done. Good glass guys aren't cheap but they are way cheaper than numerous broken sheets of glass that adds up fast.

If you do Lexan, just make the side window in aluminum sheet (and shape it) and use it when constructing everything. Remove and use as a master mold to heat / shape the Lexan later for final install.

Big question is width for your engine / gearbox / suspension arms and wheel / tire combo???

On the Mangusta project underway, we are doing modern cast retromod oversized Campy wheels and doing minimal outside to center offsets. (versus going for deep offsets) Thus longer suspension arms even though it will require specially machined uprights/hubs to make work. But we can keep it all within the factory sheetmetal and that was important.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 AM

Back to the taxes, ever consider a re-sale license so you avoid the original tax?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Post Transaxle mockup

I’m going to step back in time a few weeks here to talk about transaxle mockup and show pictures. I’m guessing this process just might be interesting to you and give context to the work that went into sorting out the Miura sizing question.

A lot of good things start as a pencil drawing on the back of a “bar napkin”. Here’s our bar napkin drawing for the engine/transaxle package:

It became apparent right away that the best way to figure out just how compact we could make the engine/transaxle package was to mock it up. I’d already identified the engine but not the transmission. After a bit of searching we narrowed it down to the Tremec TKO 600 5 speed transmission. The main case and gear set on this 5 speed transmission can certainly handle the HP and torque (the 600 in name gives the torque rating) of the Coyote, it is fairly compact, and the shifter can be mid-mounted out the top of the transmission. Having a 6 speed would be nice but the 6th gear adds more main case length and I didn’t think a second OD gear was really needed for the Miura.

Given this is a custom transaxle build, I knew I needed to have an experienced and willing transmission expert to help out. I poked around and found Bob Hanlon of Hanlon Motorsports in Elverson, PA. (www.hanlonmotorsports.com). Bob quickly understood the project, was willing to help us out by providing measurements, explaining various gearing/ratio options, and with cores, etc. for purposes of mockup.

Pete located an engine block and head. We got the transmission main case from Bob. The mockup process started.

The first stage mockup objective was to situate the engine and trans main case as close together as possible to minimize the diameter of the gear set that would connect them. The bar napkin design called for use of a chain in addition to gears and but it looked like we could go with a 2 gears and no chain from the initial mockup. The distance from crankshaft center to transmission input center is about 11 inches in this initial mockup. So a transfer case could be made using two 11 inch gears. In addition, that distance could be shortened a bit by shaving off a protruding ear near where the factory starter mounts from the engine block. More work to go but this gave us something to start with.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM

If you are in Elverson looking at your trans project, stop by my shop. I have some Lambo projects going on and am only 1/2 hour away. You are welcome to measure any part of the complete or partial vehicles here. You may also look at any of the drawings as we have reverse engineered an entire chassis.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Glad to see you have properly done your homework! The devil is in the proverbial details and engineering long before actual construction begins (and as part of rough mockup confirmation). Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Dimension

Great project Joel. I share your admiration of the Miura. Absolutely beautiful car......but save the $1m.....I don't fit! However, I do own three mid engine V8 cars. Coyote is a nice pick but man those engines are wide across the heads. Aren't they wider than they are long without the water pump and accessories hanging on the front? Just curious, on the package you're considering, what is the dimension from the farthest point forward of the engine head (at firewall) to the centerline of the rear axles?

Best,
Kelly
Old 06-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Love the scope and challenge of this build! Looking forward to the developments as they come...

Just a question, Joel for you and perhaps Bob. Based on what I understand, wouldn't it be necessary to 'sandwich' the sprockets which drive the input, and particularly, the output shaft on the gearbox between bearings so as to eliminate lateral loads resulting from tension in the chain when under power?

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.