All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-03-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Scooter Fender

I have been working on making this scooter fender and I believe I have made some progress but I also have alot of questions. I first started to make this fender in one piece but since the sides are 90* to the top it took an enormous amount of shrinking. I also got the side radius too sharp and ended up doing alot of hammer and dolly work to put more radius into the side bend. While trying to do all of this I over worked the sides and they started to split.
So I decided to start over with another technique. I decided to make the fender in 3 pieces. This way I figured I would have to do alot less shrinking. But it necessitated alot of welding. Well I got it pretty far along and I think I have achieved the shape I wanted....but. It has a mild twist in it and I don't know what caused it nor do I know how to correct it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Dave. See pics:

Copy of DSCF3574.jpg

Copy of DSCF3598.jpg

Copy of DSCF3592.jpg

Copy of DSCF3602.jpg
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Dave can you shrink or strech one side of the fender on the fender sides to pull it straight? presuming you already tried twisting by hand.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 04-04-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks for responding Steve. I was thinking that is what it needed or I should say that I was thinking that the twist was because of uneven shrinking of the sides. By the way, hand manipulation isn't working in this case. When I made the 1st piece I could see that I started to put in the uneveness when I had the shrinking jaws to deep into the flange. It pushed up on the top surface. My problem was that I could not get it out by just restretching the flange. It seemed there was a hump in the top that would not come out. I believed then that if I could wheel the top again that I could get it out but once the sides where pulled down near 90* the fender is too narrow to fit in my wheel. My only recourse then to try to stretch the top back out was to do alot of hammer and dolly work, (planishing). I was afraid that it would mark up the piece so much and basically create other problems that I decided not to do it. That's when I decided to start over.
This time with my side radius' shorter I wanted to take special care to keep the shrinks of both sides equal. You can see in the one pic where I have the top piece laying on top of the yellow fender model that it looks pretty even.
But by the time I was done with the fender I had a twist in it again. I don't know where it is coming from and I don't know how to correct it. I agree with your first point in that if it is seen early on, then correcting the shrinks or stretching some out alittle might fix it but it wasn't there till I started working on the sides, which are welded on with very minimal shrink. So I guess my point is that I really don't know where the twist has come from. i'm open to all ideas and really appreciate the help. Dave.

Last edited by handshaper; 04-04-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM

Did you weld on one side, and then the other?
You might try going back and forth on the spot welds, and if that comes out straight, go back and infill the seam with weld, a little at a time, and side to side again.

CZ
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 PM

Yeh, I welded up one whole side and then the other. That might of screwed it up. I didn't notice it but it could be. This fender is done for because I have already beaded the edges so I don't think much will change now. But I was just trying to learn what I did wrong. I can usually create shapes that I want but finishing a piece to a perfectly straight and smooth piece is hard for me. Thanks again, Dave.