All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Lightbulb Hello from suburban Atlanta

Greetings. I am still a year or two away from building my shop, but it is never too early to dream about building your own design, is it? Seems to be a lot of very talented people hanging out here. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all.

*edit - adding more content after a good sleep.

I grew up on a family farm. That meant if something broke, you fixed it or did without. There was also the family Redi Mix Concrete and construction business. So for the first two decades of my life, there were shops with every tool imaginable and everything from John Deeres, Caterpillars and junk yards full of VWs to hack on. I think I got about five minutes of instruction on cutting, welding and brazing when I was eight. After that it was just do it. My dad was real into - you broke it you fix it. It was a wonderful way to grow up and learn to have to rely on your own brain and skills to survive. Then there was the Army and loss of the farm and everything. So, thirty plus years later, I have not touched a proper torch in decades, but I still dream of doing whatever the creative mind and the budget can produce. The mind, I have; a budget, not so much. Having had both an '80 Rabbit and a ~'90 Golf in years past and being a huge fan of the design, my latest design thoughts run towards starting with Mk1 and Mk2 VWs and going a bit '50s and '60s on them ... maybe even fins.

So, I am here to learn.

Last edited by Jan; 12-09-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: more stuff