All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Will Cronkite just got more famous!

Will is a super guy as anyone who has the pleasure of spending time with him will attest. And if you ask him nice, he might tell you a story or two...or three He's had an interesting life to say the least.

Today I got a package from Will that contained the "Model A News", the official publication of the Model A Restorers Club (MARC). On the front cover is the panel truck that Will just finished and received 492 out of 500 possible points (which is a really, REALLY big deal) at last summers big Model A event in Oshkosh Wisconsin and a bunch of other awards. In addition to the cover photo, there is a five page full color article describing the restoration...all written by Will. (I knew he could talk but I didn't know he could write too)

In addition, he's been nominated for the MARC Board of Directors.

Way to go Will! I know there was a little metal shaping in that truck. How about posting some photos so everyone can drool like I did when I read the article?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Congratulations Will.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Hot digitty dog Will that is great, I couldn't be happier for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Location: Coleman, Texas, a little town in the middle of the state.

Was that door you had at Dutch's meet for that particular model A , Will?

Congrats!

Bill F.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb. 2010

way to go will
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM

I always enjoy Will's stories. Great job on the truck and yes post some pictures.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Hey guys, thanks for the interest.

There indeed was some metal shaping done during the restoration of the Panel Truck. It actually started at the first Dixieland meet that I attended for the first time 5 or 6 years ago. I had a front fender and Joe Hartson helped me with that.

I am the most pround of the fact that on ALL the items painted black on the entire truck, there is NO bondo. I made a trade for the black paint with a gentleman for an old hit and miss motor, but he limited his end of the deal to the fact that he did not want to do any welding or hammer work. It sure took me a long time to do that (with Ethan's help as well) to work out the sheetmetal to that extent, but that was our deal.

I had a different deal with the folks that painted the green. We did restore all the hood, front doors, and upper side panels from original metal pieces, but made the lower side panels, both back doors, the 'trunk' box, door and side extensions from new metal. I was expecting some VERY MINOR bondo on the door bottoms and lower side extension pieces, but they chose to use some small bondo applications on some of the other green areas as well. I was not happy, as it was my intention that the panels did not require bondo. They just said that they smear a light coat on everything and go from there.

The most difficult part for me was making the wooden rear door frames match and then to get the character lines to match. I ended up making a steel framework to form the wood frames, then made a SolidWorks drawing and had the doors skins cut on a water jet machine. A lot of what I have learned here was VERY instrumental in making the dies for the pullmax and the bead roller dies. The truth is, I owe a lot of you folks here a 'thank you' for all that you have taken the time to share with me. I am sure I learned a lot from you on purpose and accidentally. Being somewhat stubborn and a slow learner in some instances has made me slow to adapt to some known thinking. The latest of which is gas welding aluminum. I have finnally decided, that for my upcoming project it is the correct method, and it is my intention to learn to do it.

In the history of the MARC meets, they had never had a commercial entry show up with a non-glossy (unbuffed lacquer) appearance to mimic the original appearance of the commercial vehicles. Every one tried to add flattening agents, and other methods, but would end up with non-matching panels, partial shiney areas from slight sanding, or bugs in the paint, etc. I chose to use a base coat / clear coat approach (for the green only). I got the Speis-Hecker paint company to supply 2-gallons of a pre-mixed satin clear. Prior to the green paint and the satin clear coat we spent three days sanding and painting the interior of the paint booth to minimize the dirt. There was NO work done to the paint from the paint booth to the show, nor to this date. That part turned out really well.

Here is a link to my website that has extensive pictures of both the truck as acquired and during the restoration process. Click on the link, look at the 4-paged as originally purchased, then click on the pink center 'button' to view the restoration process. On pages 7 and 8, if there is a colored 'button' under the picture, you can click on that and it will elaborate on that photo. If their is a 'hand with a pointed finger' showing when you hover over a picture, it will enlarge the photo if you click on it.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projec...PD/dfpd01.html

Here is a link to the article that I think is the one that appears in the magazine. It is the story posted at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/aboutu...toryIndex.html

Truckin Bill:
Yes, that is the door that I had at Dutches and Marty's. If you or any of the others remember being there, you will concur with my statement about being stubborn and a slow learner, LOL!!!! After some time to think and ponder about what I was shown (also by Pugsy) I did come away with a host of new ideas!

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I added some links and additional text to my original post.