All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Grandpa

Charlie I have to agree with you about spending time with your grandson. I also agree with the trades talk in this thread. With that being said my grand father died when i was 16. I spent so much time with him in the garage, camping and just plain old hanging out. I still remember him like it was just yesterday and i am now 45. This time you spend with him RIGHT NOW may be the last time you get to spend with him so treat every moment with him like it is your last......,.,

Rod
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Spectator

That was my whole point Rod. Thank you
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod S. View Post
Charlie I have to agree with you about spending time with your grandson. I also agree with the trades talk in this thread. With that being said my grand father died when i was 16. I spent so much time with him in the garage, camping and just plain old hanging out. I still remember him like it was just yesterday and i am now 45. This time you spend with him RIGHT NOW may be the last time you get to spend with him so treat every moment with him like it is your last......,.,

Rod
HEAR THIS! REALLY STUDY IT! Because it is all true, oh so true!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Yep I was 16 when my dad died too and I still remember hanging out in the garage and going to work with him on saturdays. He taught my brother and I to read a micrometer as soon as we learned to count to ten
Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

I'm sure some of you remember when I posted the idea of the circle drawing tool..

Before I posted it I went to the web and searched for something like it. There wasn't any thing then.

Now there is. Look simular? Their's is over $300.00 and you can make your own for around $10.00

holedraw.jpg
circle75.gif

I even showed using it on pipe. I don't care. I was wondering if it would end up somewhere else and how long it would take.

holedraw4.jpg

Last edited by TheRodDoc; 03-21-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Spectator

That's a pretty handy and unique tool.

I have a really strong magnet that looks like the one in your drawing with a aprox. 3/8 dia. pin about 3 inches long that I will use for a circle cuttinf jig fo my nibblers or plasma cutter.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM

I have a hard time believing that tool, called an Elliptical Hole Marker was only recently designed from your drawings, Richard. Not to say it isnt a very handy tool or that you come up with the design on your own, But it is common enough to have more than one person have the same conceptual idea even years apart.

I have designed and shown a small tipping tool made from vicegrips, and find it invaluable at times. Must be a poor idea because nobody has "stolen" it yet. I would make and sell them, but they would have to sell for so much that it isnt worth doing. Same for my shrinking discs and slappers, I break even by the time I get done with them.

Marty
Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Richard, I really doubt that this idea was stolen from you. It's pretty common for ideas to be developed by different people at the same time. The idea that survives is the one that is marketed the best. If the market is big enough, then others refine the design to the point that the best device survives.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Spectator

After further evaluation I do not think that device will draw a true circle unless the pivot point the pencil is on is perpendicular to the object you are drawing on.

However it will make an elliptical shape but how controlled (as in precise shape equal on both ends)I don't know
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM

It's not supposed to draw a perfect circle. If you cut a piece of tube on an angle, the cross section is not a perfect circle, it's oval. This tool would be for marking a hole where a tube runs through another piece, or joins another piece, on an angle.