All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Default Need suggestion

Hi everyone I'm working on a 72 nova and need some suggestions on how to repair this.I could purchase a complete quarter that comes with this lip but I have a budget.You may not be able to tell but the metal has a slight contour to it.If more pics needed just let me know.I was thinking about cutting 2 peices of sheet metal one for the side contour and one for the bottom and welding them together on the back side.
Thanks

Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Sid
Looks like the rear glass mounting area, common for rust out.
not sure what you mean by weld on the back side? We need to know what tools you have available, to help us suggest a process. multiple pieces welded together is acceptable. when it's possible to get at to the back side of a weld seam it is usually best to butt weld with tig or oxy/acet and stretch the weld zone back out with hammer on dollie technique.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Along with what Steve said and will it have to continue into the trunk as well? And what forms the lower edge of the window - the missing panel? How does the missing panel tye to the 'c' pillar, what forms the radius for the glass to sit in at the lower righthand corner?
I am askinmg this to find out if the replacement pieces need be basically straight or not.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM

I don't have any speical tools just your basic tin snips hand held seamers,grinder,mig welder etc.What I meant about welding the back was I'll cut 2 pieces of sheet metal 1 for the side and 1 for the bottom then weld them together.Here's another pic. I've done a lot of things with metal before but this may be out of my leage because I just don't have to right tools.I have the same problem at the windshield.Would a set of shrinker-stretcher help or is there another way to form sheet metal. My ears are wide open and I'll listen to all.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Here's the pic of the front windsheild.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 PM

I'm also working on a 72 Nova that has similar rust issues. I bent a 90 deg angle piece with ~3/4" legs and then used a shrinker to make the front windshield repair piece. You'll need to remove the lead that is fills the seam between the top of the A-pillar and the roof (I think you can see some of the lead in the picture you posted). I think the quarter panel repair section can also be made the same way. I'll post some pics soon to show you what I did on my car.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 AM

Here are the pics of the windshield repair on my nova. Hope this helps...

Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the pic guys they are real helpful.Now all I need is a set of shrinker-stretcher.Do you guy know if the ones that harberfrieght sells are ok or are they a piece of crap.I use to think harberfrieght sold junk but they do stuff thats ok. Example there spot weld cutter drill bit around $5.00 are they are very good.What guage sheet metal did you guys use on your repairs. hb_newton(John) I see in one of your pics your working on the passager side quarter did you skin it or replace with full quarter. I just finished my driver side I put a skin on it. The passager side needs the same and I'm trying to make up my mind whether to replace with full quarter that will solve both my issues because it comes with the trunk and window channel,but I already have the passager skin and I'm trying to save money.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 AM

The HF stretcher shrinker combo with the stand is a decent setup IF you can have the dies redone. Neil Dunder, Gitzit, can re stipple dies for these machines and make them perform magic compared to what they can do out of the box.

I have done miles of these window channels, and the SS combo is a wonderful tool for such a job. One thing I would do is to sandblast the entire area you are looking at because if you dont you are bound to miss something.

Marty
Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM

I'm using the Eastwood DIY version (very similar, if not an exact copy of the HF unit) of the shrinker and the stand from HF. It works good for what I am doing right now, simple pieces for rust repair. It does beat up the material a bit if you lean on it too hard (key is to work slow with many light shrinks or stretches).

I am using mostly 20 gauge (0.037"-0.038") material, because it matches the thickness of the panels I am replacing.

On the back of my nova, I ended up having to replace both quarter panels, trunk floor, both trunk side extensions, both outer wheelhouses, taillight panel, and I had to fabricate part of the rear package tray and some of the inner structure. Needless to say the car was VERY rusty. I'm using it as a learning experience since I have never done this much metal work before.

One piece of advice is to carefully evaluate the entire quarter panel for other rust damage, originally I had planned to just make some patch repairs but once I dug into it, the full quarters were the best approach and well worth the money.

I started at the same point that you are at, with minimal tools and I have been adding them as budget and need allows/requires. The shrinker/stretcher was one of the first purchases so that I could make the pieces for the windshield area.