All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 PM

Hi Steve,
I would like to sign up for Patmans class, and I would like to join in on Thursday also.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 05-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Shawn, I have marked you down for both. I'll be re-confirming with everyone again in August to make sure plans haven't changed. See you in October.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

I talked with Craig and said he wanted to go if I'd be the co-pilot. I was thinking about coming anyhow, so put us on your list.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Default June Update

Pat Brubaker has included some information about his pre-event class in post number 8 above. (Class is Tuesday October 4 and Wednesday October 5) Right now I have one person signed up and another who is “iffy.” Several people at the “Route 56 Gathering” expressed an interest, but they have not committed yet. Five spots are still open. I know it seems early, but these classes usually fill up. Don’t miss out on this opportunity.

I’ll just remind everyone that you will pay 2X – 3X this much for a similar class from many others. ($350 for two full days in the shop is a bargain. Pat’s class is very hands-on. Not a lot of lectures and demonstrations, you’ll spend a lot of time with a hammer in your hand as Pat guides you through your project.) Pat’s focus is making panels with fairly simple hand tools. You will be able to apply what you learn back in your shop or garage even if you don’t have a large investment in tools.

If you wish to attend Pat’s class please reply to this thread.

Just a reminder: “MetalShaping in the North Woods” is Thursday October 6th through Saturday October 8th. You can attend any or all days. If you are new to metalshaping this is an opportunity to learn, and try some new equipment.

We will have two TIG welders, One MIG welder and two Oxy-Acetylene torches set up. Try your hand at either steel or aluminum. I hope to have two English wheels here, but one will be here for sure and I have two sets of lower anvils: one set with flats, and a second set with full radius. Try both and see which works best for you.

A BBQ lunch will be served all three days.

If you have a project, please bring it; if not I'll have everything you'll need for some basic skill-building projects. Let me know when you respond.

A lot of people have verbally indicated that they want to attend. I remember some but not all, so please respond to this post if you are planning to attend, and let me know which days you will be here. In order to have sufficient room to work, I think 20 should be about max attendance.

We have some interesting demos and presentations in the planning stage right now. It’s not finalized yet, so stay tuned for more info in a week or two.

Hotel accommodations: the Island Inn in Cumberland is about 3 miles from my shop. They can be reached at (715) 822-4100 or www.staycumberland.com. Rates are around $75 - $100 per night.

If you’d prefer to camp, I have some space for both tents and RVs. Let me know if you need a spot. For those camping here, or just arriving early, breakfast will be provided on Friday and Saturday.

Last edited by Steve_Greenway; 08-07-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 PM

Default Hotel Update

I've been checking with some others hotels in the area looking for a better deal than the Island Inn, that I had previously mentioned.

Cumberland Inn & Suites has larger and nicer rooms for around $80 a night. Free Wi-Fi and free breakfast. It is about 5 miles away.

The Super 8 in Rice Lake, WI has rooms for $57 per night but is about a 20 mile drive each way. The meet is right in the middle of fall color season though so the hotels book up early. The Super 8 only has 4 rooms left for the weekend of the meet.

If you are interested in attending the meet, book your room soon. You can always cancel later if your plans change.

Both hotels are bookable through all the major hotel websites (booking.com, kayak.com, etc.)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:36 AM

Default July Update

OK, I guess it’s time for another update.

Attendance: We are at about half-capacity right now. Please remember space is limited and if you haven’t posted, PM’d, or e-mailed to tell me SPECIFICALLY which days you are attending, you aren’t on the list yet.

I have one person bringing a very cool rat rod that they are working on and another bringing a motorcycle they want to do some work on. We are getting close to the space limit for larger projects. If you want to bring something large, please contact me and I will see what I can do to make space for you. We still have plenty of room for smaller projects though.

We should have a number of demonstrations going on although the list hasn’t been coming together as quickly as I had hoped. I think we are going to have demos on flow forming, using hammer forms, making patterns, and tuck shrinking, I am hoping to have demos on making body sweeps, corking tools and wooden mallets also.

I'm planning to be in the shop around 8:00 am each day, we'll go until people get tired.

Thursday evening we’ll be grilling burgers and brats in the back yard. All who are here are welcome to join in. I’ve reserved a room at a local restaurant for Friday night. Expect good food and drink. And since we have our own room, you don’t have to worry about getting dressed up. All are welcome to join us for that as well. Just to be clear: I'm not BUYING dinner on Friday, I'm just making the reservation. Everybody pay's their own bill on Friday night.

Craig Peterson from Dagger Tools will be here with a selection of tools for sale. This is an opportunity to see and try a selection of these tools before you buy. If there is a specific tool you want to see and/or try please let me know and I will try to coordinate this with Craig. He has limited space to bring tools and he can’t bring everything that he sells.

I still have 4 spots open in Patman's class. Pat has a list of people who expressed an interest in his class but haven’t committed yet, If you are interested you should get on this list now as Pat is going to be following up with those on his list. We need one more person to sign up in order to secure the class.

I hope to see you in October.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Mar. 2010

Hello everyone, sorry I have been around lately I have been very busy here in the shop and am in the middle of car show season. Steve and I have been talking back and forth over the last couple months and man I am getting fired up for the event! Space is limited so you guys need to speak up! Any of you guys out there that are interested in the class that will be held before the event you can contact Steve or myself through pm or this thread, I will post a couple of short videos of what can be done with simple hand tools very accurately and efficiently. Here are some pictures of what past class attendants have made. The class before the event will have some smaller projects to work on and each attendant will have their own project that they can put their own spin on. Large class projects are fun to work through but we can cover a lot of topics with smaller projects and different ways to make the same panel and that will be the focus of this class.
12647266_559755177515980_5164380610184659514_n.jpg

12728804_1786245271594275_5808413097951087491_n.jpg

12715471_565769813581183_6651787147460569788_n.jpg

13151762_599224093569088_8120917178200778857_n.jpg

13178730_603291976495633_6368612138313787375_n.jpg

12991088_591247164366781_2126478211920772729_n.jpg

13006519_591247277700103_3031845454989397099_n.jpg

https://imperialwheelingmachines.com/
Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Default Request to attend

Hi Steve,

I would like to attend Friday-Saturday 10/7-10/8. Could bring a banged up fender and do some straightening with dollies and a shrinking disk if you think that would be acceptable demo. My family has a place on Sylvan Lake out of Barronett so it is only a few miles to your location. Let me know if there is room.

Henry Votel
Forest lake, MN
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Henry, We have room and would be happy to have you. My wife's family also has a place on Sylvan Lake - small world. South east end. Last house on 10th street.

I'l mark you down for Friday and Saturday. Bring your fender and shrinking disk.

See you then!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reservation and will be there. This may seem "All Metal Shaping Weird". . . . . .Our Family Place is the first year round house in on 10th street; Blue sided house with big garage. My brother's place is the 2nd last one on 10th Street. Recent 2 story house/garage. Yeah, small world! Probably have met some of your relatives.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN