All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM

"superleggera structure"

I'm sick thinking about it! It's fantastic!

Although I think it's a bit ambitious,....... when we get the body in why not give it a whirl?

so that raises some questions .. .750 aluminum tube (correct?) and if we use a 6061 would it be possible to bend and form in a "standard" tube bender?

I wonder if Kirkham would be willing to sell me the hinges and mount points that he makes for his body- otherwise that will be another obstacle

I can think a few more potential problems but one thing at a time

In put anyone?

John
Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Steel inner structure

We've used steel tubing inner structures on teardrop trailers. Exterior skin is 5052 for corrosion resistance, in .050 and .063. Skins were fastened with either rivets or stainless screws. On the trailer I have under construction (for entirely too long), the skin will be bonded to the inner structure with panel adhesive.

The first trailers built have all suffered from electrolysis. As long as you can keep the electrolyte out of the structure, you're golden. But any water, soda, or whatever, and you have a problem.

Once completed, I plan on installing one of the new voltage sponge's. I know the people who make the rad cap anode unit have one, and I've read about several others. The idea is to take the voltage being created, and bleed it off so it can't do any damage. Have yet to hear independent success stories.

As for tubing bending, I built a form out of MDF for my trailer, and bent the tubing around it. As it has inner structure, I didn't have to account for the spring back. Might check into the weldabilty of tube you try to use - I've had some issues with extruded tubing welds.

John

Last edited by Overkill; 04-23-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I think if it were me and I were doing the roadster again, I'd make some 1" angles out of .120 and .250 rather than using tubing. Bending tubing symmetrically is difficult for me to do.

In your case, I'd probably make a wooden platform on casters that simulates the chassis and bolt the supporting structures to it.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Looking forward to this one! If you are doing some of the planning proccess on the weekends and wouldn't mind someone looking over your shoulders, I would love to come and check it out!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Default 550 spyder

An aluminum body build for the 550 is why I got into metal shaping. After my various learning projects that is what I want to build. Please document this build. Lots of photos of how the parts are shaped and go together. Any chance on having enough info on the bucks that someone like me could duplicate it? Drawings? Patterns? Flexible shape patterns? I want! I want!

John C
Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 AM

Default where are you?

I hate to be a grump, but I have no idea of where you are ,what state, city, country. Duh. I would love to attend and help, but it would need to be fairly close to home to be practical. Our local gatherings in Granbury Texas are $20.00 suggested donation. No one seems to have any problem with that.$ 15 sounds really fair. Michael
Old 04-25-2010, 11:54 AM

John , I was thinking about building the same thing but an RSK ( a later version ) i would be happy to help . Definitely use .063 -.050 is just too thin i already have a chassis design in mind . There is a good book by Ludvigsen Library with a lot of pics . My thought would be a ball joint bug front end with a 914 rear suspension and trans axle .
BTW this is my first post on this new sight so hello to all my old friends
James
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Welcome James!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I hate to be a grump, but I have no idea of where you are ,what state, city, country. Duh. I would love to attend and help, but it would need to be fairly close to home to be practical. Our local gatherings in Granbury Texas are $20.00 suggested donation. No one seems to have any problem with that.$ 15 sounds really fair. Michael
This is in So Cal. about halfway between LA and San Diego.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 AM

I have been working on getting a 550 porsche body- and today I picked up the chassis today!!! Tomorrow the body will be delivered to the shop!

here is the chassis in the back of my toyota

They have just broken the body out of the mold and will "debur" it

here is completed car that was at the spyder shop--- it's the same body we are going to build at the September meet

another body shot-- there are a bunch of inner panels, a couple of door skins and hood skin- along with an inner structure that will show up tomorrow.

the guys were still laying out the fiberglass for the rear bonnet when I came by the shop- they said tomorrow I will have all the parts.

Today I shifted some cars and stuff around the shop so I have room for both the body and chassis.

This weekend if I can get a couple of the local guys to meet up at the shop we will start with the details on making the parts, panels, inner structure, forms, fixtures, bucks, patterns and plans---

Who's coming?

John A.

Last edited by John_Alba; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 AM.