All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks for bringing this up David.

Good information on gas welding is not abundant on the Internet for some reason. Your DVD really does show it is not by any means outdated. If I were told to get rid of my welding equipment bar one, I would keep the gas welding.

Bringing up the safety aspect is appropriate. This goes for all kinds of welding, and is always something to learn first.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for sharing I am eagerly looking forward to more on gas welding as other here are.
It is too bad that many auto hobbyist here in the U.S. feel this to be an outdated method.

I am subscribing.

Last edited by hogdaddy; 07-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

SETTING UP THE WELDING REGULATORS AND TORCH.

Many times on this and other forums I have seen questions about how to set up the torch and set the flame to a neutral flame. I have explained my method which is the standard method used here in the UK. Everyone learning to weld at any college in the UK would be taught the same way.

I was surprised to find all sorts of suggestions made by others and thought that perhaps there was not a standard way to set up the torch in the USA, now I have found this video. It shows exactly the same process as I was taught to set up the flame, there is no nonsence about holding the tip to your cheek and guessing the settings from there. The guy is a fully skilled welder and very informed and the information he gives will save me hours of typing. Much of the information he gives is on my DVD but I am happy to share the video, he is a bit more in depth on some things than I had time for but does not show the exact process I show for welding sheet metal. Its well worth watching.

He also shows some welding and explains why you need the correct size nozzles (tips). he talks about the problems with using tips that are the wrong size. Note he is welding with a proper welding torch. The welding skills he shows are exactly the way I was taught.

One thing that is different is the pressure settings he suggest, they are a little higher than those suggested by BOC. I will post the BOC information soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPW06n-27FY

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 07-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Here is a very old film talking about welding as a career. Its quite a nice film (American again). Watch the guy light the torch and set the flame and you will see that he sets it in the same way as the guy in the video above. Many years between these videos bit the same set up methods used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDKOk3OlS5Q

There is some interesting footage in this video which is not to do with gas weding. Overhead pipe welding and gas cutting- I learned these skills when I was 16 or 17!.

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Oxy-acetylene is so dangerous and terrifying that we all wonder why it is even permitted for use anymore. There are so many images of cars blown apart, buildings destroyed, fires burning out of control that it just does not seem safe for any human to do. Why do the goverments even allow this to exist? Over the past hundred years there have been so many terrible burns and people killed from this dangerous practice. Why is it allowed to continue?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Here ia a link to a document about the causes of blowbacks and flashbacks. When I learned to weld the health and safety was the first thing we had to learn before we ever picked up a welding torch. It was also the first thing I had to teach when I was teaching at college. I hope people will read the information I have provided which I hope with help them stay safe.

There are note on the size of tips and using the correct type of torch. I will be posting information about torches, hoses and flashback arrestors next

http://www.thefabricator.com/article...fuel-torch-use

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Oxy-acetylene is so dangerous and terrifying that we all wonder why it is even permitted for use anymore. There are so many images of cars blown apart, buildings destroyed, fires burning out of control that it just does not seem safe for any human to do. Why do the goverments even allow this to exist? Over the past hundred years there have been so many terrible burns and people killed from this dangerous practice. Why is it allowed to continue?

Gas welding in itself is not dangerous, malpractice, ignorance, misuse and poor attitudes to the potential dangers is.

I am trying to give people at least some knowlege of the equipment, safety aspects and possible dangers they can be presented with or create themselve or though misinformation so that they can work safely. I have used information that comes from reliable sources such as government websites. As I said at the begining of the thread this is for novices or those that want to learn.

You are right there is a lot of stuff out there showing the results of accidents involving oxygen and acetylene. Preventing these sorts of incidents should stop the govenment from banning the use of gas welding. The fire department here wanted at one stage to get oxygen and acetylene banned so its always possible.

I am surprised you would play down the very real potential dangers or make light of them.

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Mr. Gardiner,

It is my surprise that you think I am making light of something so serious.

As a matter of fact, safety with the oxy-fuel torch is as serious as driving an automobile, handling fireworks, working with explosives, or using firearms.

However, as Mr. Tucker learned many years ago with his auto company, when he emphasized the safety of the Tucker car by using the horrors of automobile crashes and lost his customers from an over-emphasis on blood, gore, and destruction, it is a matter of degree.

Thank you for your educational efforts here,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Here is the information about the pressure settings as recommended by BOC.

I took this from a book I have...

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Good information. I put the small flash back arrestors on the Harris torch. The Victor torch has the flash back arrestors built in to the torch. So now I have the arrestors at the hose connections of each torch. Do I need check valves or arrestors as well at the regulators? Just getting this system all set up.

How low is too low on the Oxygen tanks when I was checking the system for leaks, the Oxygen tank guage is only at 500psi. It will need to be switched out soon.

Used to do a lot more O/A welding, trying to get my system re set up.
This is a good review.

Thanks,

Dave