All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 AM

Default Model “O” Gas torch & Aluminium welding

In the UK the Meco Midget torch that seems on this forum to be the standard for “mini” torches is super expensive - I’ve been quoted GB£500 + for torch/nozzles/fittings - but we do have available what’s commonly referred too as the “Model O” at a much more affordable cost for me at around £100- £150. The torches are generally marketed as lead burning torches but the blurb on these says can be used for other sheet metal up to 1.5mm with oxy/acetylene.- see links

https://www.boconline.co.uk/shop/en/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.wellyweld.com/products/m...kit-44857.aspx

https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/...ing-Torch.html

Question is has anyone had any experience of using this type of torch on aluminium - up to 1.5mm/ .063” sheet for car body panels?

Thanks

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 10-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Have you tried looking on “AliExpress” for an oxy acet torch? I bought three different ones from them just to see if they would work. They seemed to work just fine for sheet metal work.
Mike.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Messer Griesheim Minitherm or Greggersen Micromax torches work well. Videos can be found on youtube.

Cheers
Sky
Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM

I bought the Meco Midget torch and love its lightweight feel, but found that it gets too hot in the handle after protracted welding, which makes me think it's working near its maximum limit? Admittedly, had I had unlimited funds, and bought the extended neck piece as suggested, this problem would have probably not occurred...

As shown in the pic, I chanced upon a small Harris torch on special in my welding supplier (+$ 118.00 in my currency) and after fitting a set of lightweight gas lines, us it as my torch of preference. Welding with the extra "weight" in hand (as compared to the Meco) presents no real fatigue challenges that makes me wish it were lighter, or that I should perhaps get that extended neck for the Meco. I also got a rose bud heating nozzle which I use often to anneal work hardened metal etc etc.

torch 1.jpg

torch box 1.jpg

I guess, though, that it's all subjective and open to differing personal opinions, but IMO, don't think that owning a micro torch will really be a better option to one that's a tad larger. Lightweight hoses, however, are absolutely necessary and lessen the tendency to "fight the torch" when working as regular gas lines weigh a ton!

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 10-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Jim, I found the Meco Midget on this site for £318.00 including VAT

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/meco-midget-torch-tb42
Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

I have both a small aircraft torch and a large Harris torch and don't find much difference when welding between the two when I have a small tip in the big torch.

I've made a habit of draping the hose over my elbow or shoulder to move the weight away from my hand. This helps on large work as well as fine.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your comment guys - I have a standard “light” torch but was really looking for something that was super lightweight to be able to be little more dexterous when using it, but was still able to deal with any heat sink into the 1.5 mm ali. sheet.

Gareth - thanks but still can’t really justify that price as only a hobbyist.

Want to buy U.K. available torch ideally to ensure fittings compatible and spare tips etc readily available - so if anybody has any experience using one please let me hear your views.
Thanks

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

I have a lite weight hose that is sold by Kent White. I have several different aircraft torches and the lite hose makes all the difference.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tomczyk View Post
Gareth - thanks but still can’t really justify that price as only a hobbyist.

Want to buy U.K. available torch ideally to ensure fittings compatible and spare tips etc readily available - so if anybody has any experience using one please let me hear your views.
Thanks
Jim, I was going to suggest you look at the Hen Rob torch but it’s not available in the UK and is a similar price to the Meco.

https://www.fournierenterprises.com/...-w3000dvd.html

How about getting some lightweight hoses made up for your existing torch?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Perhaps try contacting David Gardiner. He's not active here on this forum anymore but he is in the UK and a big proponent of gas welding. He mentioned what he used one time, IIRC he said it was very affordable.

You can contact him through his site:

https://www.classicmetalshaping.co.uk/