All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Not EXACTLY metalshaping but it is metal and I did have to do some fabrication ...

I decided a few months ago to buy some cast iron split headers from Langdon. Today I welded up the downpipes.

Name:  D-035s.jpg
Views: 3438
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  D-034s.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  31.6 KB

The downpipes are 2 1/4" and there is a rolled taper in front of the mufflers which are 2". The tailpipes will be 2" also. I'm waiting on some mandrel bends to fab them up.

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle building a new, straight, non-tilt, steering column.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Kerry, the headers and pipes look good and the mufflers are above the bottom of the chassis. Good job.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Default 140 jag windshield

kerry I went into the shop a measured the windshield of a 1957 jag 140 roadster. The width from outside pillar to pillar is 47 inches. The center pillar is 2.5 inches forward of the outside pillar mounting point and it measures 16.5 long.It is canted back 42 degrees from vertical. Let me know if you need other measurments or photos.I may be able to loan this to you for test fit after I finish tear down if that will help. Robert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Most running boards will (should) span between the front and rear fender, but the underswept design of the leading edge of the rear fender IMO would not work well with a running board (without re-work ). However, the black showing between the two fenders "accentuates" that the front fender is much farther down at the bottom. I think a "rocker cover" would blend everything together well and eliminate the headaches of trying to attach a running board to the rear fenders. There's always some Cobra sidepipes.

Very nice work Kerry.

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel

Last edited by MP&C; 03-09-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator

This week I made a new steering column. Really simple. I didn't want any wiring in it as the turn signals will be on the dash and the dimmer on the floor.

Name:  A-019s.jpg
Views: 3249
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  A-018s.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  34.8 KB

There is a tech article on the HAMB at:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=568414

While I had the fenders off I thought I should finish the radiator shroud since it will be much harder to do with the fenders on the car. At our regional last year, several people, mainly Carey Cullpepper (Mr. C) worked on this quite a bit and I started with that. Carey had built a wooden buck but it was too 'deep' to fit on the radiator so I thinned it down 1/2" and it slid in. Once I verified the fan was in the right position, I tried to fit the pieces that Carey had started to the buck.

Name:  A-001s.jpg
Views: 3238
Size:  32.6 KB

Unfortunately it just wasn't working out. Nothing wrong with what Carey was doing he just didn't have time to finish it. The shroud will have to be two pieces so it can get around the top radiator hose.

I thought about it a while and decided we had been trying to make it too difficult. Actually this is nothing but an offset square to round transition similar to some duct work I made 45 years ago at my first job with an HVAC company.

The HVAC guys would bend shallow break lines to make the curve.

I wanted a finished edge so I wrapped the round part with some false wire edge material that was made using a Neil Dunder die several years ago. I didn't know what I would do with the several pieces I made (actually Bennett and Grant made for me) but I knew it'd come in handy for something.

Name:  A-003s.jpg
Views: 3219
Size:  32.5 KB

You can see from the paper template that it will just lay in place with just some bending (arrangement)...no shaping required.

Name:  A-004s.jpg
Views: 3231
Size:  31.1 KB

The first side tacked in place. The buck was handy because I could screw the flange in place and work the metal. I bent the arrangement with the slick and some slapper work.

Name:  A-005s.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  36.8 KB

Other side was about the same. The engine is off centered a bit so they two sides are different.

Name:  A-006s.jpg
Views: 3232
Size:  31.0 KB

And the bottom all tacked.

Name:  A-007s.jpg
Views: 3209
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  A-008s.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  27.8 KB

Here it is on the car. I've trimmed the false wire edge panel back to about 1 1/2" so it pulls from the whole radiator.

Name:  A-009s.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  49.1 KB

Top view looking down. I'll weld flanges on the sides at the top and the top part will bolt to them.

Name:  A-010s.jpg
Views: 3206
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I think you've built a dam around your fan instead of a funnel.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadame View Post
I think you've built a dam around your fan instead of a funnel.
I'm not following you Bob? Please elaborate.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Kerry: I think that Bob missed the part about trimming back. Are those the Q dies that were used to make the edge? That is a clever use for that.
I have a set of those dies. Makes about a 1/4" centered leg loop? Does that make sense? I had not considered forming and bending them for a curved edge. I suppose that if a piece was trimmed back to a small flange, they could be curved in the other plane with a shrinker/stretcher?

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I'm thinking he missed that also.

Yes, that is the die. It makes about a 5/16 roll that looks like a large wire edge but it's hollow. I may redo it and make the opening a bit larger. As it is, I couldn't get a fan belt between the blade and the shroud unless I take the shroud apart. Don't want that.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

"Here it is on the car. I've trimmed the false wire edge panel back to about 1 1/2" so it pulls from the whole radiator."

That's the part I missed. Still, why have the 1,1/2" dam at all? I understand that the fan will pull more air if it is surrounded by a tube but the tube should be outside the plenum. The tube inside as you have it will cause turbulence as the air tries to flow over the edge. This makes the system flow less air, less efficient, in my humble junior college dropout opinion.