All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Not to mention inspirational and aspirational.
The thing I like most is even all these posts later with so many opportunities to change along the way, I still see a steady pace towards the concept drawing on page 1. This is going to be one cool car. Thanks Jack.
Chuck
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM

I am blown away,your talent is never ending.is there anything you can't find an answer to?
doug
Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
did you do any assembly or modifications to the LED lamp array (reconfigure, rewire, ??) other than remove them from the original assembly to install in yours?
I had to greatly reduce the amount of plastic on the chassis and trim some of the conductor plate along the sides. I also had to remove the top 2 LED's to get everything to fit. In that picture on page 110 you can just barely see that there is a processor mounted to the bottom. You can see the edge of the green circuit board. I'm pretty sure that some or all of the LED's are stepped down to 5 volt DC on that board so I can't test anything until the harnesses are completely plugged in. I'm not that sharp with electronics but I know that you have to be very careful about altering or deleting anything. The ECM will start throwing trouble codes. I had to shorten the DRL fiber optic tube a couple inches and that's about it. When I made the patterns for the housings, I shaped the basin to fit this modified design including the opening for the plug that's mounted on the circuit board. When the chassis sits in the bucket, the receiver (plug) seats right in an opening in the bucket.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop2it View Post
is there anything you can't find an answer to?
doug
Tomorrow's lottery numbers.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 04-24-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
I had to greatly reduce the amount of plastic on the chassis and trim some of the conductor plate along the sides. I also had to remove the top 2 LED's to get everything to fit. In that picture on page 110 you can just barely see that there is a processor mounted to the bottom. You can see the edge of the green circuit board. I'm pretty sure that some or all of the LED's are stepped down to 5 volt DC on that board so I can't test anything until the harnesses are completely plugged in. I'm not that sharp with electronics but I know that you have to be very careful about altering or deleting anything. The ECM will start throwing trouble codes. I had to shorten the DRL fiber optic tube a couple inches and that's about it. When I made the patterns for the housings, I shaped the basin to fit this modified design including the opening for the plug that's mounted on the circuit board. When the chassis sits in the bucket, the receiver (plug) seats right in an opening in the bucket.
Thanks, Jack. I have ambitions to do an LED panel for the taiilight on a pending bike project. I've been studying what to do and your experience/wisdom/advice is very helpful.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 PM

always amazing Jack thanks for posting your work
Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 PM

I've been struggling with the profile of the roof trying to get as close as possible to Ray's side view rendering and still be practical and functional, but it seems that there is always some sort of compromise required. The toughest ones for me are form vs function. What good is it if it's functional but looks like dog meat? Function, in that case, would mean nothing to me because I wouldn't be caught dead in it. So I tend to give form more weight than function on something like this. I'm nearly 6 ft tall and there's plenty of head room with this profile so I'm going to go with it.
I think there's still one minor adjustment to be made; the second from last section needs to be about 2" shorter. This will give a little more height to the last section where the rear window will be and a little more rake to the last section.
I should be getting my perimeter frame sections back from the welder in a couple days so I can get started making the bows next.

Name:  1589.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  1590.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  1591.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  72.6 KB

I also got my tires mounted and balanced. I will need to set the car on the suspension soon.

Name:  1592.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  46.2 KB

Last edited by Jack 1957; 05-03-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
I've been struggling with the profile of the roof ... The toughest ones for me are form vs function.

Got to admire your sticking close to the design. So many times I see the orig renderings and then what came along - WHOA! Is that really what you guys did with that design.

Go with the 6ft. rule.

The long gangly buyers will have to make do. I'm 6'5" and there are a bunch of hard tops I cannot fit in - with seats removed.

Many times it is the steering wheel/door gap that locks out my left knee on the clutch - Open door to shift - Yeah, I know.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Have been following this thread since the beginning, and I'm speechless... This is FANTASTIC what you're doing Jack! I think the administrators should start a new class for people like you: "metal shaper of the year". You're my nominee for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and probably also 2020!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:28 PM

One strong suggestion before you lock the roof profile in. Get it on wheels and roll it outside so you can stand back and get better views of it (and at distance) and at the ride height it will be sitting finished relative to the ground. I'm sure you are very aware of that but just a good reminder for others viewing this great thread you have created.