All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Opthalmic facts:
At the age of 40 your eyes' need for light doubles.
At the age of 50, doubles again.
60? - doubles again.
Ken brings up a good point. In addition to the LED bulbs that Kerry identified, those of us with "vintage" eyes need more light. I notice it especially when welding or when working on a project car where I can't get good light. I recently found a terrific solution. Some of the newer LED headlamps which use the 18650 batteries can put out a terrific amount of light. This past winter I started using this Fenix headlamp while I did auto repairs, and really like not having to drag a shop light everywhere. Last month I bought a second headlamp, removed the head straps, and used adhesive velcro to attach it on top of my welding helmet. It works quite well, is adjustable for angle and intensity, and really helps me see the work. It works so well that I put velcro on my clear facemask and transfer the headlamp between that and the welding helmet as needed. The batteries last so long, and are USB rechargeable, so I don't worry about shutting it off while working.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by idickers View Post

In addition to the LED bulbs that Kerry identified, those of us with "vintage" eyes need more light.

For those needing more lumens than the 8000K deliver, there are 11000K temperature LED light tubes - mfgd by Lithonia. Not cheap.

The Platinum Electric Co. plant uses them in its gen-room up on the 59th parallel, where the winters can be a bit darker than at the southern parallels.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 PM

When I built my shop 8??? years ago I thought I was making a smart decision when I installed four bulb T-5 high output fixtures. I've been happy with them, but now it looks like I am blocked from upgrading to LEDs. The T-5s are 8900 lumens. I will most likely just add some LED fixtures. Any suggestions regarding fixtures?

Last edited by norson; 07-17-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

This bulb fits many sandblast cabinets (18" holder). You'll actually be able to see what you're blasting!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-inch-T8-...item3f9511f5da

s-l1600.jpg
Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
When I built my shop 8??? years ago I thought I was making a smart decision when I installed four bulb T-5 high output fixtures. I've been happy with them, but now it looks like I am blocked from upgrading to LEDs. The T-5s are 8900 lumens. I will most likely just add some LED fixtures. Any suggestions regarding fixtures?
Will something like these LED T5 bulbs work for you?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks. Interesting that they will fit both t5 and t8. Since I wrote that I've found several sources. the main thing will be pricing. I want to add more fixtures so it's good to know that I'll be able to use the same bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idickers View Post
Will something like these LED T5 bulbs work for you?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

I use T8 in all my T12 fixtures.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

When Dan Pate picked up the CP planishing hammer he bought from me he informed me that my lighting wasn’t up to snuff. I had already played with the idea of going the T5 route but thought that lighting was kind of eerie in my friend’s motorcycle shop. Dan highly recommended Winplus LED utility lights he had purchased from Costco. They have a bunch of features you can learn about here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxl3XU2dqg . Best of all they were on sale at that time for $30 each delivered to my shop instead of the regular price of $40 each. THE BIG MISTAKE I MADE WAS I ONLY ORDERED 20 of them instead of the 40 or 45 I would need to do my whole shop. I LOVE THEM because they are housed inside an airtight plastic housing so they are a jiff to clean. I’ve found in my shop the top half of florescent lights gets covered with welding smoke, then the room isn’t as bright. Installation is easy as well because they are so light……… easy to handle when up on a ladder. Dan feels one of these lights equals two 4’ twin bulb fluorescents in light output and I pretty much agree. Not always in stock at Costco but worth waiting for IMO. If anyone notices they are on sale again for $30 please let me know, I will be eternally grateful….. what more can I say. ~ John Buchtenkirch
DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00011.jpg
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...acement-bulbs/
Good source with volume discounts. Knowledgeable staff.