All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM

Default advice on which shear

If this is the wrong place please move to the right place .I recently purchased a 42'' Niagra stomp shear ,now the guy I purchased my 48'' Enco brake from text me if I wanted to purchase his 52'' National which comes with the arms for the front and rear hold downs .I do have a small shop with limited space ,but 10'' longer won't break me as I try to have wheels and levelers on everything so we can move things out to use when needed . My question is which would you guys choose I definitely can see the advantage of being able to shear the whole sheet with no waste and with speed ,I have just heard the national is on the middle of the scale where a Niagra is much higher. The Niagra someone replaced the broken foot with steel which is fine but it is also missing the hold down which I plan to make (if I keep it will look for some advice and measurements )and also has no hold downs. Of course I would need to sell the Niagra to buy the National for the money I will pay for the National I can keep the Niagra and also buy a used motorized 30'' slip roll from someone else I know ,some advice from some of you would be appreciated ,Thanks in advance,Randy

20170312_233031.jpg
Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

You'll love the ability to cut 48" 18ga material. In looking at the Niagra I expect it's not rated for 18 guage???

Btw, I have made most everything in my shop so I can pick it up with a pallet jack. Works wonders. I can even pick up my welding table and move it around. The HF pallet jack is one of their decent tools. I've had mine for 6+years.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:12 PM

Kerry the Niagra is rated at 18 gauge also ,and I really like the ability to move machines and level them ,my Bridgeport mill is on a low profile homemade cart with levelers one big guy can move it himself ,those days for me are long gone though ,what do you guys think the Niagra and a used National is worth, Thanks Randy
Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Easy answer. You only have to ask yourself “how do you make the first cut on a standard 4’ by 8’ sheet with a 42” shear ” ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2016

My opinion.... Any stomp shear less then 48" cut is useless.
http://Phillipshotrods.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Phillips-Hot...0144852696123/
Instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/phillips.hot.rod.and.customs/