All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 AM

Default So I'm at the very beginning

I'm about an hour in on time I've spent on my new Victor type oxy/acetylene torch. I'm using a #1 tip on 5lbs pressure.

I coat my test coupons edges in flux, and the 1100(I think this is correct #) filler rod. I scrub the surfaces with a stainless brush and use a deburring tool on the edges.

I'm trying to get the two pieces to join with the flux. My flame is neutral with a very small bright tip. Would a 1" long blue flame be better?

I'm at the point where I can produce a spot on the sheet turn shiny into a puddle but notice that I can't see this if I've coated the surface in flux.

Is it okay to just use flux on the rod and not the sheet? How doe one start the formation of the bead? I'm noticing that the filler rod has a tendency to pool up on the surface and not join with either plate. Tomorrow I'm going to try welding on a brick not on a steel welding table.

So I'm wondering how I should approach this- how is the filler applied- is the filler only melted by the heat of the plates when pressed onto the surface, or is the filler melted down along the edge with the flame?

I'm really excited to get into this because I've always wanted to do it for years. Actually getting a bead to form will be a great byproduct!

c