All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

The panels do warp during bead rolling. I can straighten a good portion of it by flexing the panel over my thigh/knee. It helps to be 6 foot 5 inches for this

The rest of the warp generally comes out when the panel is attached to frame and other panels. So far, any warping left over has not been noticeable.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM

I have been following your project for years through Kit Car and searching Google to see what ever came if it is what led me to AllMetalShaping. I am very happy to see the C5 GTO is still moving forward and has found a home on the web. Do you have any more pics of the body during and after construction? The linked articles aren't as detailed as I recalled the printed originals. I realize it is fiberglass and this is a board dedicated to metalwork but I think many would appreciate the work you put into it. I know I do. Even just a web album on Picasa/Flickr/etc would be great.

Please keep the posts coming.

Last edited by 68rustang; 04-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Default More progress on rear floor

So I had a large area (~4 ft X 3 ft) to cover. There were no square corners so I had to start by making a cardboard template for the whole area. The bead rolling on a sheet this size is tricky but doable. I put in as much insulation as possible to keep the heat and noise out.

After trimming, bending and trial fitting about a dozen times...

The piece fits great.

The stallion shield looks right at home...

The door to battery box remains as final piece to this puzzle.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM

That is coming out real nice Joel!
At this rate you can drive it to Santa Cruz
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Very nice Joel.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM

Man, that is one good looking interior sheet work!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Awesome job on your interior! Keep the photos coming
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Complex shaped tunnel cover

The next bit of sheet metal work is to build a cover for the transmission tunnel. With the chassis backbone designed to accommodate a fairly long transaxle it’s much more than a “hump” in the floor. The top of the backbone in the middle is just below elbow height and elevates at the rear above that. Thus the tunnel sheet metal needs to be multi-level and I decided to put a glove box into the front part of it. These two factors raised the complexity factor quite a bit.

The first step was to create a cardboard template.

As the tunnel area is very visible, I decided to dress it up with some diagonal pleats bead rolled in.

Using the chassis tubes as a hammer form, the sides were bent down. A pie cut was taken out, the front bent down and sides of pie cut welded backup. A template was then made for the front section.

The front section was bead rolled, sides and front bent to shape, and holes cut out for glove box opening and gear shifter. The front section is clamped into place for scribing and cutting in preparation for welding.

The glove box lid mounts flush with the panel using a piano hinge and paddle latch. I found a real slick stainless steel paddle latch that’s just the right size for this application. I plan to fabricate a small box-like piece around the gear shifter and make a shift gate on the top of it. It’s a Ferrari after all, and don’t all Ferrari’s have a gated shifter.

So this piece took quite a bit of time to make. I did run into a challenge during metal finishing the joints that I couldn’t solve myself. On one welded joint for a pie cut, the weld cracked every time I planished the distortion in the weld area. After it cracked for the 3rd time, I knew using the same TIG welding method over again just wouldn’t work. Since I was planning to attend the Santa Cruz Metal Meet, I decided to enlist the help of an “expert” instead of continuing in frustration.

My special thanks goes out to Kent White for solving the issue. He applied his aluminum gas welding expertise to re-weld the joint. It turns out the heat was being sucked out of the weld area too fast and he was able to prevent this by using the torch to post heat the weld area. He also demonstrated how to best planish the welds with a slapper, dolly and body file. I don’t know that this is a definitive comparison test on welding methods but the same weld that cracked 3 times after TIG welding didn’t crack after gas welding. I now have purchased the TM2000 glasses, flux, and instructional videos so I can learn the gas welding method.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Thumbs up

Your Kicking Ass Joel! I Really Like this car, and have been following the Build as well. Keep at it Bro! It's Really coming Along.
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Tunnel cover complete

I did finish, polish, and install the tunnel cover. I thought I’d post a picture of the final piece. I intended to fabricate a shift gate but the short throw shifter is so tight that gates wouldn’t fit. It’s all sealed under the tunnel cover so a shift boot isn’t needed.

A word of warning to those who aspire to have a polished metal finish on a part. It can take a very long time to metal finish and polish something like this out. I spent about 2 days sanding and polishing this one part.