All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Default GrandWillys Project

Been asked to post a build thread on here for those who have not seen it before.
The first page of this thread has years later had the rest of the build photos added, so might seem out of kilter with some of the comments made by others.

The project is about using a 1948 Willys Pickup frame and cab that will have the full running gear and as much as possible of a donor 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited added to it, both inside and out. The cab will be made 9" wider and 7" longer using parts from a 58 Willys Pickup. The overall theme is to look like a bigger Willys but 1948 from the outside and 2008 underneath and inside.

Back in December 2007 I bought a Willys Pickup off eBay but it was a year before I got it home as had nowhere to store it. After much jumping through hoops with the council I built my workshop to house it.

After much looking and watching insurance auctions I was finally able to get a donor for the project. Ended up with a 2008 WH/WK Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. It was first registered in 2009 and 12 months later T boned by a Harley rider doing a 100 mph! Hit it so hard that the foot well locked the throttle and he steered off the road into a paddock until he hit a tree.

One day these two will become one.

Getting the Grand into the workshop.

The Grand is in place ready for lots of measurements and then the strip down can begin!

Got a start on the project this week. Started by taking every measurement I could think of so I can setup all the suspension under the Willys when it gets transferred across. Also been labeling every wiring plug that I have found so far. Done the whole engine bay and have it all disconnected ready for removing once I can get to the others ends of the harness under the dash. Also unbolted every panel that can come off and removed the seats.

Being careful not to damage any of the trim when taking it apart in case I can sell any that I don't use.

Still go a few more things like the chrome roof bars, rear bumper and tail-lights to go outside.

Airbag under the dash cover was quite fiddly to get out.

What it looks like under the dash with the top cover off. Going to be fun getting all that into my Willys Pickup later.

Got the steering column out today along with the centre console and shifter. Just untangling the dash harness and labeling it all.

Got my first chunk of wiring harness out.
This is just part of the under dash section!

The is the main dash member that just unbolts. It supports the steering column and all the heater/AC parts as well as the radio/navigation and heater controls etc.
Planning to install the whole thing into the Willys so I can bolt everything to it like it was in the Grand.

Starting to look a lot less in there now.

Got all the lining off the sides and seats belts etc out today plus the carpet. More time labeling everything as well. Still have the roof console and lining left to do up top and the HVAC system before I can remove more wiring.

Mock up time.
This is as low as I can get the front down and the upper wishbone not hit the underside of the front guard and with shorter springs on the struts ( technically coil overs as it has upper and lower wishbones for location ) and still have a decent ride. That is 2.5" lower than stock. I have just placed the Grand's wheels on there hoping the 30" tall tyres would fill the guards enough but not sure they have? Also working out the placement of the front wheel.

This is 1" further back than stock.

Front wheel in stock location

Front wheel 1" forward of stock location

Close up of wheel 1" back from stock.

Close up of wheel stock in stock location

Close up of wheel 1" forward from stock.

Few more mock up photos

This is with my trailer wheel and tyres fitted. They are a 235x80x17 ( 31.8") instead of the Grand's in 245x65x17 (29.5") in the other photos before this.

Had a go with Photoshop for the first time to see how the things I have planned for the body will look on an image I found on the net.

Here is the original photo untouched of a stock Willys apart from the wider tyres.

Here I have widened the cab 6" and added an extra pair of lights in the grille.
One set will be for parkers and the other indicators.
I already have the lights to fit and are LED and look clear until powered up.

Here I have pancaked the roof or flattened it. The stock roof height looks a little bulbous to me.

Checking out what it looks like with a roof chop and the roof pancaked.

This is the stock axle location as well.

Think the tall skinny look works well with the old truck and hotrod look I am going for.

The last of the interior wiring finally out. I have filled a whole 55 litre tub with just the interior wiring alone and have none of the under bonnet and floor stuff yet. And that does not include another tub I have been filling with the different ECU's, modules etc.

This is the whole heater, A/C unit as well. Hoping to re-use that as is.

Just a shell now. Only a bit is some firewall insulation left which will come out once I unbolt the brake pedal which has the booster and master cylinder on the other side. Hand brake will come out once I loosen off the cable inside the rear rotors as no adjustment anywhere else.

Got the rear frame unbolted. Might think about using it in the Willys as it is also the mount for the panhard bar, tow bar, two exhaust hangers and the charcoal canister. The spare wheel also sit inside it.

Got the rear bumper off too as well as the chrome roof rails and petrol filler. Everything is ready for it to sit up high on stands so the drive train strip can begin.

The strip continues.

Stainless 2.75" exhaust and fuel tank is out.
Huge muffler makes it way too quiet so won't be using it.

Cut the windscreen out. Then cut it up with my 9" grinder with a diamond blade. Next time though I will wear more than just shorts and sandals as was picking out the glass splinters from under my toes!

Like the arms on the rear axle. Nice and strong with decent sized bushes. Glad the arms are not the pressed tin ones.

Back end is clear of everything now. I can pick the whole rear up quite easily with all the weight of the engine forward of the front stands.

Got the coilovers out tonight.

The radiator is pretty big and planning on using it. The AC/ core also has the trans cooler in the top half and the power steering cooler sits in front of that again. The fan is run off the steering pump with electric control by the ECU.
Pretty deep though all up at around 9"

With the radiator out can finally see the Hemi!

Most of this will be hidden under the engine cover.

There was no way it was coming out through the top with the engine, tans and transfercase still all attached. Also wanted to leave it attached to the sub frame that holds the engine mounts, steering rack, lower suspension arms and front diff.

So up up and away. Lisa is manning (should that be womanning?), the engine crane.

Just look at the size of it all against the big grand for reference! How am I going to fit all that under the little light weight Willys??

Was hoping to be able to keep everything attached to the sub frame and go up under the Willys as is. Only problem is that the grille is 8-9" closer to the front axle centre line in the Willys than the Grand. The wheels would end up against the firewall. Actual engine bay length is pretty similar ( Willys 3" shorter but there was a couple of inches between the fan and the front of the engine), so that is good.

Looks good with that cover on.

Cover is actually a bit short to clear the forward upper cowl area of the Grand. Wonder if the cover from a 300C, Challenger or Dodge truck are longer that these engines also come in?
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 03-07-2020 at 07:20 AM.