All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-27-2016, 10:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Just like tools only serve to enhance the craftsman and are no substitute for lack of skill or practice, no party is better than its hosts. RockHillWill and Miss Peggy are the reasons Redneck Roundup 2016 was one of the most outstanding events I have attended casually or professionally. Period.

Everything about it was hands-down Southern Hospitality at its best. No pretense, no competition except the kind between friends consistently helping tweak each other's success and just a plain all-around good time.

What I learned from everyone I watched, worked, played and talked, talked talked with is really awesome. My new stumps from Jimmy Matthews are still in the back of the truck. Because I've been happily using one I bought new 15+ yrs ago, my top-shelf door prize TM2000 gas welding lens (thanks, Kent White!) is going home with one of the most promising young artists/sculptors I have ever met. Working together, even when we agree to disagree, we get real opportunities to make a real difference.

Not to be outdone, the competitor in RockHillWill gave me about three dozen new friends to respect as peers. (Travel safe, everyone. I'm praying y'all each get home well.) I want to thank him and the others that worked so hard for us. I'll just name him and Miss Peggy, so I don't leave out someone and hurt feelings.

What a great weekend. You can't fake cool, man. You've got it and I'll be back for more.... Miss Peggy and RockHillWill- You're the greatest! Thanks for all my new friends.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:17 PM

What kind of 3d scanner is that?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

Had a great day at the 3rd Annual Redneck Roundup! It was great to see so many old friends, and some new! How often do you get to hang out with, work with, get advice from, and watch so many talented metalshapers from all over the world practice their craft. . .at NASCAR legend Will Cronkrite's shop no less! It's a very humbling experience seeing what these folks can do with simple tools like a hammer, dolly, and a vixen file. Many thanks to Will and Peggy for welcoming everyone into their shop for such an awesome event. They are the epitome of southern hospitality.

I did a little more work to my YSR fairing, and got some great advice from a number of folks on how to approach the final shaping required so I can move on to final finishing. There is so much going on at one of these events that it's difficult to actually get your own work done, because you are trying to store so much information in your "mental toolbox".

I also got some great tools in the door prize giveaway, and the tool exchange. Picked up an awesome edge file made from a "bone spur" file from Pat Brubaker, a corking tool set from MetalMan Sweden, a set of mini-snips and a flanging tool from Mike Yurko at Front Row Motorsports, and a cool slapper/flipper from Bob Kolenda made from a leaf spring out of a 1966 Shelby GT350R he was restoring.

I also want to thank everyone for the warm welcome towards my daughter Zara. She has been to Will's shop in the past, and always has a good time. She was very excited to finally meet Mallory Kolenda. Additionally, I want to thank everyone for their well wishes for my parents. My mom is having a health battle in the hospital, which cut my visit short for this event. The fact that a bunch of folks from all over the world, express so much concern and understanding about a fellow member's family health issues, really speaks volumes about the types of people you meet at these events.

Great seeing y'all again, and looking forward to seeing you all at future events!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Will and Peggy,
This was great and it was a pleasure for me to spend the time to do this ..People where very interested in the Mechamer Mark II wich i am thankfull fore.

You are lucky that Jimmy will leave the machine at your shop to play with for a while.

Thanks again to all who did attended this wonderfull Meet.

ready to go home.

Ben
Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Oh BTW i did not have the chance to make pictures, i have a few but i would like to have more.

If people have pictres ore video's please send them to

bensmetalshapingshop@gmail.com

Thank you

Ben
Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 PM

I just got home from The Red Neck Roundup. I had a wonderful time meeting all the people I have heard about, but never met. Seeing so many of my old friends was great too. Will and Peggy are great hosts and made me and everyone else feel right at home. Let me catch my breath and maybe a little sleep and I'll post some pictures.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I just got home also. A great time as usual. The weather was magnificent. Will and Peggy were great hosts as always and it was great to see all my old friends, meet some new friends, and learn some new tricks.

My old friend Ben Van Berlo (Pedalcar Ben) was there from the Netherlands and had his new Mechhammer II to demo and it is a pretty dang impressive machine. It is very, very controllable and can go from light and delicate to very powerful with just the touch of your toe. All the dies are the same height so there is no mucking around adjusting arms unlike my CP hammer was. I'm not really a planishing hammer guy and sold my big phammer last year because I never used it. I believe I would have used this if I had it.

I stayed in my corner a lot and worked on Monique.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Finish up Class front fender

For those of you that were unable to attend the classes put on by Per and Patman you missed a surprisingly educational hands-on seminar about building many panels with an attention to panels for a fender buck put together by these gentleman. They stayed another day to weld together panels from one of the classes. They did an exceptional job of instruction and you can see the results. This was a particularly difficult panel; because of the small features and reverses. If you have an opportunity to attend a class by either or both of these gentlemen, please take advantage if that opportunity. It is important that this mentoring continue thru these younger guys as those with the skills and the willingness to teach are getting few and far between.

Sun-1 001.jpg

Sun-1 003.jpg

Sun-1 004.jpg

Sun-1 019.jpg

Sun-1 007.jpg

Sun-1 020.jpg

Sun-1 021.jpg

Sun-1 022.jpg

Sun-1 024.jpg

Sun-1 032.jpg
Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Speedster work completed today and this week

Jim Hery was instrumental in the work done on the Model A Speedster this week. His keen eye and immense talent, along with some help from both Per and Patman has stepped up this build to a new level. Subtle changes in a few locations and attention to small details have vastly improved the aesthetics of this build. Jims ability to 'finish' a panel is legendary, and there were many time during the week where there might have been 10-12 guys just watching in awe as he finished the rear panel and the tail 'fin' area. We started the build using a powered bead roller to install the character lines, but it was quickly pointed out that the Pullmax was going to be both quicker and more accurate in dimensions. The panels are either just sitting there, or taped in place, waiting for finish trimming and the installation of the Dzus fasteners, followed by the installation of louvers.

Sun-1 008.jpg

Sun-1 009.jpg

Sun-1 010.jpg

Sun-1 011.jpg

Sun-1 012.jpg

Sun-1 014.jpg

Sun-1 015.jpg

Sun-1 016.jpg

Sun-1 017.jpg
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Will for hosting this gathering of all these great metal shapers. It looks like there was a lot done this week. Did Jim and Dan find the ice-cream bars or did you have them locked up.