All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 PM

Default Got to try a Tommasini Wheel today.

I had the privilege to visit RockHillWill's shop today along with Cliffrod.

I just want to say thank you guys for welcoming me and sharing the passion for metal shaping. Was such an enjoyable and rare experience for me.

Peter, these two guys (Clint and Will) hold you in such high regard, as many of us do. It was obvious to me the effort you put into your wheeling machine, and their excitement in ownership of their own handbuilt Tommasini wheels.

Now, my experience lies solely with a harbor freight wheel that I've owned a couple years. Using Peters wheel you can immediately tell you're working with a professional piece of equipment. All of the machining is very precise. All of the tracking is very rigid and true. Holding one of the anvil wheels in your hand you can feel they have considerable weight to them. Much more than my harbor freight anvils.

The three of us talked about many things. I think we were excited to share our findings and challenges, successes/failures and general passion for the art of metal shaping.

I brought down that one fender I began to build just as a learner a couple months ago, and wheeled out the center section on the handbuilt wheel for maybe 5 minutes. Off the bat you can tell it began to gain a very dense, smooth finish, like a ball of glass. This was in 5 minutes and mind you I started with a "walnutted" panel.

IMG_20190202_180509966.jpg

I surely would like to graduate to a machine like this. It's built with quality for a lifetime. One and done. Great stuff. Again thank you very much Will and Clint. Peter I hope to meet you one day.
Looking to build my own car from scratch

Last edited by RB86; 02-02-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Rob
I also would like to thank Will and Clifford for showing you the whole shop and equipment. It's also nice to know that you liked the handbuilt machine.
I have used my 50 Years of experience to build those machines and spared no expense to research and build them.
Thank you
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 02-03-2019, 08:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Good morning Rob. Believe me, the pleasure was ours. It was very nice to meet a young person with both talent and ambition. You are welcome to come back at any time to use either one of Peters wheeling machine here in the shop. Next time bring that fender buck back down and we can strengthen it and maybe add a few details to help you. You did a very good job for your first attempt.

Your best move to date was joining this site. Their is a plethora of EXTREMELY talented individuals that are willing to share their experiences from a life long involvement of metal shaping, and from my personal perspective, Peter Tommasini, Kent White, Jim Hery as well as others share a world wide respect for their talents, and they each are kind and sharing individuals. I am sure their are others, but I have had the privilege of spending extended time with each of these particular gentlemen and hold each of them in high regard. Peter and Kent have invested huge amounts of time and money developing metal shaping tools and tooling for the metal shaping community, and would offer a recommendation that you visit their websites. Do NOT pass up any chance of attending one of their workshops. I will see to it that you get to meet Jim Hery at his shop near Nashville, Tennessee.

Also, keep your eye on Pat (Patman) Brubaker. He is surely going to be one of the more respected metal shapers in the future as he has an uncanny ability to find "two dollar answers to twenty dollar questions"!

It was also nice to see Clint again and see the progress he is making on the NASCAR air cleaner, and his vision for the motorcycle gas tank and seat on his café racer bike. Seeing the tooling that he made for the air cleaner in person was much more impressive than the photos that I had seen. He clearly has an artistic eye, clear direction and an uncanny ability to create with his hands. Maybe I may have to start paying more attention to by 'brother' Jim Hery when he tells me something......... Nah!!