All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Location: Coleman, Texas, a little town in the middle of the state.

Just think how little we would have learned if not for both David's and Marty's postings? It's time to say thank you to two fine gentlemen, as well as to all the experienced and talented shapers on here who take the time to share their knowledge, instead of keeping it a secret magic hidden only in their shop...I can remember way back when I thought it was impossible to metal finish to a standard where no filler was needed...now, thanks to the Internet, I see it is possible and actually a reachable goal.

I can see how a very uneven HAZ could make the shaping hard...especially if it was like my really poor welding I did on the floor of a Pinto wagon back in 1979 when I was just learning how to oxyacetylene weld.. I've seen Marty weld (thanks for helping out on my Cub Cadet side panels, Marty!) and I would bet his HAZ is fairly even anyway. David is really a fantastic welder, (Thank you for the video, best value in Metalshaping IMO...) so he is able to achieve a standard higher than most of us beginning shapers will achieve for a long time..

Again, THANK YOU and many ways to get to town all end up ...in town!

Bill F.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM

hey i dont have an issue with guys mentioning there product lets face it this forum would be nothing without the pros showing us how they would tackle a job the best way to section shape and weld and for that im happy for them to mention there products, we all know there are many ways to achieve the end result some are easier that other and its only by the generosity of guys like David Gardner or Peter tommisini and many other that we can learn and develop

Thanks You guys and please keep posting because i still need to learn a lot
Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Marty, what???????. The less distortion that is put in the less needs to be taken out so the quicker a good finish can be achieved. To me it seems pretty obvious.

It seems that me expressing my views is always wrong on this board. Others can express their views as much as they want even though they may have hundreds of products to sell. I can't even say that I cannot afford to spend thousands on a machine without being told I am wrong and that I should get with the forward thinking people. I cannot see how me answering a comment in which my name is actually used can be wrong.

I have contributed a lot to this board, I have shown in great detail the way I do things. I have at no point said anyone else should work in the same way but people tell me they learn from what I show and enjoy my input.

I see several posts on here today that are blatant adverts. A video which clearly advertises courses. A new person on the board who has shared nothing advertising courses. I personally don't have a problem with this I am pointing it out to show that the comment I get are personal.

I know this post will get deleted.

David
David,

Ever since joining I have been in awe of your postings. You have nearly reached 5000 since joining in 2009, not to mention your postings on other forums.

The quality of your work, and your easy to follow and passionate style of teaching means that if it was translated to say, a school scenario, your students would end up in university with the prospect of worthwhile and fulfilling jobs, while those of other, mediocre teachers would end up in dead end, mundane jobs.

All your threads are a masterclass in metalshaping and I challenge anyone to show a more efficient way to come to the same results, all things being equal.

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has noticed a barrage of comments against your way of doing things.

Sure, people are allowed and should voice their opinions, but it seems to me that at times, it is just for the sake of wanting to be confrontational.

There are only a handful of Metalshaping masters that go to the lengths that you do to pass on their skills for what at times seems to be to the ungrateful.

On another thread about MOST HATED JOBS, I posted that I absolutely hate having to grind down MIG welds when I should be using OA instead, I was 'advised' "Then get better at grinding. Everything is a skill to be mastered"

I'll say no more.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:07 PM

Hi Guys, I watched that video and it was informative. His way of doing it I guess was to keep really bad distortion from occurring especially for us O/A Challenged. I being one of those. I keep practicing and I'll be damned if I haven't gotten a wee bit better. I have David's video and I studied it many times. I didn't notice a big difference cept David could weld a continuous line around the world. Someday I might get a few more inches.
I still say thanks for posting a lively discussion and the video clip link.
Oh Yeah, David quit taking everything so personal. We know you kick A$$.
Gerry in Colorado
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 AM

I don't see much value in showing the welding of two machine sheared coupons.
I look like the best welder in the world on "coupons".
It's hard for any method to look bad under these circumstances.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM

I think that the main thing guys, is that most DIY videos out there are put on for exactly that, DIY'ers
people who enjoy doing work at Home in their own garages, tinkering on stuff they want to build or fabricate.

Most I believe who choose to view these tutorials possibly are not trade minded persons, but are willing to have a go with the help of mates and colleagues.
These are great videos, for everyone, whether trades people or not, if someone gets something out of them well that's awesome, if some don't well it doesn't matter.

All who are trades persons, would have been taught by one or another's particular way, or and after have adapted their own styles during the course of their working life. Like quicker, faster more efficient, less waste and better productivity.

Imagine what the world would be like if nothing was new, we still worked the way that all our teachers taught us to work and we still adopted the early 1940 text books of the automobile repair or building in sandstone like the convicts did, there would be no interest.

Everything out there, in reference to what I do anyway is of interest, if someone does it a different way to how I do things, but it is no better, no big deal, if I find a way to improve on the way I do things, I'll change my ways.

Just like most here on this forum, there are lots of fantastic craftsmen, all have their own opinions, on doing things one way or another, but the outcome is pretty much the same.

Seen where talking about HAZ anyways, I use the mig myself when I join panels and I get very minimal HAZ, and I'm pretty good at grinding to, I just have to work on the rest of the stuff.....
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Altough I prefer to continuously weld after tacking, the gem of a tip I picked up was, "heat the last tack, if the metal over laps" quicker than stretching it! Everybody has something pass on, even if you don't agree on the whole.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!