All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default QUIET Tig cooler?

Anyone have recommendations for a QUIET Tig cooler? I've got a Miller Dynasty 200 and am using an HTP ARCTIC CHILL cooler. Although it works very well, the HTP is VERY noisy. I need something quieter. No, I don't want to build my own. I need something plug-n-play.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 PM

Default Quieter

Bill,

Most of the coolers I've run into do create quite a bit of fan noise.

I've known a couple people that circulate the water from a large container, with no fan. The volume of water is enough that it heats up slowly.

I've also seen a few that just hook up to the fresh water supply. But that means you're paying for water that goes to waste. I guess you could run it into a rain barrel, and use it later.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I have a small Bernard 2500SS on my small Miller 180SD TIG and it's very quiet. The nominal pump hum is as loud or louder than the fan. The overall cooler noise is equivalent to the fan on the welder. Don't think this specific cooler is still sold new. Seems to work fine for me, although I've often thought of making a larger tank for it.

Fan noise trivia- As a teenager going through major overheating issues with my first purchased car (67 Mustang) a variety of fans were tried. I quickly learned that fan noise has a strong relationship to blade pitch- the steeper the pitch, the greater the noise especially as speed increases. Greater pitch/noise also seemed to have a measurable negative impact on fuel consumption. At the same time, it didn't necessarily cool the engine better.

Ever since, I always wondered if there is a significant curve change in cfm and power requirements as blade pitch goes happy quiet to rough noisy. engine porting experts talk about noisy or rough air turbulence with decrease in efficiency as a port shape and air speed changes.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Default Do you need a cooler?

Bill,

I failed to mention, I run the Miller Dynasty 200 with an air cooled torch, as I don't get into that much thick stuff with the TIG. If you are welding thinner materials, just get an air cooled torch.

I have no idea if you can run a waterer cooled torch with the water off, without damaging it.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Bill,

I failed to mention, I run the Miller Dynasty 200 with an air cooled torch, as I don't get into that much thick stuff with the TIG. If you are welding thinner materials, just get an air cooled torch.

I have no idea if you can run a waterer cooled torch with the water off, without damaging it.
Answer to running water without water is no, it will burn up in seconds as the wires depend on cooling to carry the amp loads.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a QUIET Tig cooler? I've got a Miller Dynasty 200 and am using an HTP ARCTIC CHILL cooler. Although it works very well, the HTP is VERY noisy. I need something quieter. No, I don't want to build my own. I need something plug-n-play.

Thanks!
Bill, I built mine from some scrap soda fountain bits and it turns out that the scrap soda fountain used the same Procon pump that I gather the Miller and Lincoln coolers use. It's pretty noisy. The fan is a PC type of unit and I put a surface thermo switch on the side of the alloy tank so that the fan only fires up once the coolant gets to 50 degrees C. The fan is barley audible when it kicks in. So if your one is anything like mine, presume you would need something with a different style of pump. The Procon is rotary vane.

20150419_122524.jpg
Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Does anyone know how much pressure drop TIG cables have?

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
Old 01-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Default TIG cooler

I have a 2 gallon pail with a fountain pump. Can barely hear it with the welder turned off. It has worked fine for 20 years. I drop a couple freezer packs in it if I am welding at 250+ for hours. I measured the pressure drop on an old torch that was plugging. 15 psi drop. I flushed it out (lime away I think) and rinsed it good. Got it down to 5 psi. 25 foot cable. I did not measure the flow rate.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

My first tig was a miller dial arc 250. Got from a factory in town. Had a stainless tank maybe 3 gallons. Pro con pump like above. No fan or radiator. Had about 30 feet of cable so 60 feet of liquid line.
They were run at 80 to 140 amps. they were used for 8 hr shifts and it worked for over 20 years before I got it. (Grainier sells them)

Very quiet just the sound of the elec. motor with pump.

Always use distilled water to avoid mineral build up in the system!!

They told me to add a little auto water pump lube also.

Steve
Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Noisy Cooler

Don't forget that the cooler you are using is probably designed to cool the torch at 100%. I usually use my machine on low or medium (Dialarc 250), I only have a pump, 1 gallon reservoir, no fan and no radiator. With my HW20 torch, I've never even made the water warm. Maybe you could try unplugging the fan and see if the water gets warm. The only time my cooler has gotten noisy is when the rubber in the flex drive gets worn.