All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Nowadays why would you want to use anything but Tig rods or Mig wire? Wouldn't that rebar wire be extremely low grade stuff? 10lb tube of ER70S2 1/16 Tig rod costs me $35 at Airgas. That stuff is plenty soft, is saving 20 bucks really worth it?

Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 05-11-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Well if you think hitting more than twice as hard on a weld with MIG wire is worth the effort then go for it.

Mike
Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Nowadays why would you want to use anything but Tig rods or Mig wire? Wouldn't that rebar wire be extremely low grade stuff? 10lb tube of ER70S2 1/16 Tig rod costs me $35 at Airgas. That stuff is plenty soft, is saving 20 bucks really worth it?
Chris,
It is the alloy of the body metal you are welding.

Back when I was working on 15-20+ old cars per year, I joined the de facto "body metal connoisseur club" at HAC. Auburn-Cord-Dues-Graham had one flavor, GM, another, Chrysler, another, Ford another.... and Lafayette, Moon, Star, Neptune, Railton, Ruxton, etc etc something else. I liked Chrysler. Other guys liked GM. and so on. But the filler could be a help - or a hindrance, when butt welding and planishing sections.

For instance, Halvorson and I did a 1929 Ford Mail truck, with me setting up the cowl, front fenders, hood, shell and core support - while Gene set up the aprons, boards, and rear fenders. I lucked out and got the "last NOS" RF fender, but Gene had to section the RR from 3, and butt welded and metal finished the works. Ford used hard steel in that era, so he used the RG60 on the Ford, whereas I used the RG45 on Chrysler.

We used tie wire/mechanics wire on the soft GM V16 Cad limo.

But that is just us, and ER70D2, or S3 or S6 would be just fine.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.