All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Body Sweeps? did anyone decide to make these?

Looking for a complete set of sweeps.Read previous threads and curious if anyone made these? I see fay sells them but a little more than iim prepared to spend right now...or if someone made these and can give me the info needed to have mine made i would appreciate it.thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

those are cool. I totally want a set now.

I stole the picture from fay's site.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Jimmie Hervatin in Warrenton Mo is in the process of making several sets, also a stand for them. It would be worth a call. You can google his name for contact info.

Jimmie's number is 636-456-7242

Last edited by edthomas; 11-06-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Is there a true radius anywhere on a car? Lots of curves, but no radiuses.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Fay Butler demonstrated this at a class I attended a few years ago. He found a radius gauge that fit the curve exactly. Then he moved the gauge up and down along the metal until the center of the gauge began to lift from the surface. At this point he made a mark at the end of the gauge. Then he moved over a couple of inches and repeated the procedure. He did this several times then he connected the dots (at the end of the sweep). This series of dots was what he called a "high light line". In the right light you can actually see this line along a body.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM

I found them helpful back when i used to work on pre 73 exotic european vehicles.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM

I have a set that are the 3' length and use them often enough to justify there cost. Mine were lazer cut from 16 gauge galvanized. They go from 0 to 50/16's

Tom
Your 49-51 Ford/Mercury woodie expert
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Tom:

Does that mean that if you hold up the sweep on its ends, that the number of the sweep indicates the number of '1/16's' that is measured at the center of the curve in the middle?

How does that relate to the longer sweeps? Would a #1 (1/16") as measured on a 36" sweep be equal to a #2 (1/8") height on a 72" sweep? Their curves are the same radius.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Found some info on SWEEPS at the Chavant site. Chavant is one of the suppliers of styling clay and tools.

http://www.chavant.com/new_site/file...rn_styling.pdf

TRUE SWEEPS
Templates are some of the most important tools you will use in clay modeling.
Predetermined common radius shapes known as True Sweeps are available. Sail makers and builders of railroad cars first used True Sweeps at the turn of the century. General Motors adopted and standardized a series of 85 template radius shapes to assist them in the development of compound curves in automotive body design. True Sweeps are used as guides or templates during the creation of key line drawings, templates and clay models. Most shapes on automobiles will match the radii of a True Sweep or a combination of two or more True Sweeps. These tools are available through Chavant.Manufactured sweeps are hardened anodized aluminum, machine cut and hand finished.
Two styles are available: • Standard: two radii numbers on each sweep - top and bottom radii are consecutive numbers or; • Parallel: equivalent radii numbers on top and bottom of sweep. (most commonly used
by clay modlers)
Numbering System:
Sweeps are each numbered from ½ to 100. Each whole number of a sweep signifies a rise of 1/8” in true radius, relative to a straight line equaling 60 inches in length, with number ½ equal to a radius of 7200 inches (182,880mm) and number 100 equal to a radius of 42.25 inches (1073.15mm). Numbers ½ through 8 are available in ½ increments, 8 through 50 are available in whole number increments and 50 through 100 are available in even numbers only.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Hey, Richard:

Thanks for the response, but I am still confused. I looked at their site, and their information is the same as you passed on here, but I am having trouble with the math. 7200 inches equals 600 feet. 42.5 inches equals approx. 3-1/2 feet. 600 feet minus 3.5 feet equals 596.5 feet. At 1/8" increments in the radius, 596.5 feet x 12 equals 6,828 inches x 8 would result in about 54,624 sweeps.

Their offering style that is reflected in the last parragraph results approximately 84 sweeps. What am I missing here?

72 inches equals 6 feet, minus 3.5 feet equals 2.5 feet x 12 equals 30" +/-. In 1/8" increments this still results in about 240 sweeps.

Math is not my strongest skill, so if I am incorrect anywhere, I would appreciate it being pointed out to me.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here as well, but I am thinking that I have a need for some sweeps, and am trying to determine if I need to buy a 'set', or do the calculations and waterjet only the range that I anticipate needing.