All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM

thanks so much for this thread, this is exactly what I have been looking for, now if i could find a shop close by to go hang out for a little while.....I tend to learn better by hands on experience
"I can do all things thru Christ which strengthen me" Phil. 4:13
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

When it comes time to join thin sheet metal you will likely want a small mig welder. For your work you can get away with a 110volt machine running .023 wire. If it is in the budget you can upgrade to a 220 volt welder and gang install a double 110 breaker to get the power you need.

Scott
welders360.com
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hightower View Post
When it comes time to join thin sheet metal you will likely want a small mig welder. For your work you can get away with a 110volt machine running .023 wire. If it is in the budget you can upgrade to a 220 volt welder and gang install a double 110 breaker to get the power you need.

Scott
welders360.com
If you are intending to make panels I would consider a little tig welder over a mig. I prefer to use gas welding for most of the welds I do. Mig welds are hard and very difficult to dress out.
Look into the various welding methods and consider very carefully before deciding, A lot depends on what use you are likely to put it to. There are several threads on here about this subject.

David

All things are possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Mig welds are hard and very difficult to dress out.

David
ESAB have a wire called "Easy grind" thats fairly soft.

Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
If you are intending to make panels I would consider a little tig welder over a mig. I prefer to use gas welding for most of the welds I do. Mig welds are hard and very difficult to dress out.
Look into the various welding methods and consider very carefully before deciding, A lot depends on what use you are likely to put it to. There are several threads on here about this subject.

David
Besides that, an Oxy Acetylene setup can be used for cutting, heating for bending thicker steel, heat shrinking, and more. Plus, I was able to buy my whole setup for $125 with half full tanks, and being able to gas weld is a perfect intro to TIG welding.

I prefer TIG because I have more experience with it, but cost is a big proficient and 110v TIGs arent worth the $ IMO. I would take a torch any day over MIG for metal shaping, but a MIG is still needed for plug welds.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM

This is a great thread. With so many tools out there it is hard to know were to start. I have some ideas as what to get, but thanks to Joe I now have a starting point. Thanks
Matt
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM

This is a great starter thread. I've been doing a little stick welding as well as MIG over at a friends shop. He does some fabrication but not much in the way of curves.

But I have the shaping bug so practice has to start soon!

1953 USAF M37
1953 USMC M37
1966 Ford T-5 GT
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I mean use a post dolly of appropriate size like the one below and hit the work just off the point of contact with a wedge shaped soft hammer (wood or plastic) the plastic hammer in the pic has one wedge shaped end.

Where would I purchase a plastic headed hammer like the one above?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM

http://www.tuckpuck.com/ is one source, and pick up a TuckPuck while you're there. I'll be trying out the hammer pretty soon myself, just gotta wait till next week
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMarsh View Post
http://www.tuckpuck.com/ is one source, and pick up a TuckPuck while you're there. I'll be trying out the hammer pretty soon myself, just gotta wait till next week
I have the Tuck Pucks. As much as I like Carey's hammer I am partial to oval shaped wood handles.