All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Default How is it accomplished?

Hey guys, I was wondering how these type of metal finishings are accomplished does anybody know? Is it a special type of polishing machine? How is it done? I know you can buy decorative metal finish sheets but I want to know more about the process to make them. How would I go about trying to replicate something like that? Any info is welcome Thanks

PS.: I hove I've picked the right place to put this post if not, please feel free to move it to the right place.

In the search for answers I came across this info:

http://www.norcorp.com/design-alumin...pe-on-Aluminum

406.jpg

1810-Aluminum-Spiral.jpg

che120510_img01.jpg

Last edited by Steve Dussemberg; 06-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Meet Hosts

Hi Steve, this process is called engine turning. It can be done very simply with some basic tools. Google search the term "engine turning" and you may find sources for materials allready done and the supplies to do it yourself.

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

One of the guys at the recent Redneck Roundup (iirc- I know it was at Will's shop) talked to me about engine turning. Hopefully he'll post on this thread about some specifics.

In a nutshell, he said Establishing your pattern and layout is obviously important. But he talked at length about the ways different metals and abrasives behave. He described some metals as gummy, which load up the abrasive head and change the pattern of abrasive lines as you progress across the piece. Similar things happen when the abrasive deteriorates. Seeing a piece with the same swirl pattern across the entire piece is significant as keeping the layout accurate.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dussemberg View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering how these type of metal finishings are accomplished does anybody know? Is it a special type of polishing machine? How is it done? I know you can buy decorative metal finish sheets but I want to know more about the process to make them. How would I go about trying to replicate something like that? Any info is welcome Thanks

PS.: I hove I've picked the right place to put this post if not, please feel free to move it to the right place.

In the search for answers I came across this info:

http://www.norcorp.com/design-alumin...pe-on-Aluminum

Some of us have done a fair bit of that "damascening" or "engine turning."

Needed:
Drill press or mill.
abrasive powder or slurry - valve lapping compound, BonAmi, etc
light machine oil
round stick
button made of leather, felt, foam ... (kratex not so hot, imo)

Layout can be by eye:

You can use your thumb and some 320 paper on some aluminum sheet, and twist your path across it ...

Dates back to 1920's, it seems. Good for camouflage on poor surfaces.
Or to fancy stuff up.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM

I can't thank you guys enough. I already searched the term on google and youtube and they have tons of info and videos on the subject and well as materials and techniques. That has opened up tons of possibilities for my future projects. Again I can't thank you enough guys.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:10 PM

I've done it small scale using these http://www.abrasivesales.com/quickor...s&req=cartroll

Kent when you say, "Good for camouflage on poor surfaces" does that mean difficult to camouflage surfaces or to hide poor work/degraded surfaces?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
I've done it small scale using these http://www.abrasivesales.com/quickor...s&req=cartroll

Kent when you say, "Good for camouflage on poor surfaces" does that mean difficult to camouflage surfaces or to hide poor work/degraded surfaces?
Of the two airplanes I posted images of, the amphib, a Fleetwings Seabird, is constructed of spotwelded stainless. Stainless is heavier than steel but much stronger, so for this amphib hull construction they made it monococque, with a zillion spotwelds. No heavy thick sections anywhere but overhead in the wing spar attach points. No rivets because the spotwelds saved something like 257 lbs. But there were spotwelds every sq. inch, with channel sections every 4-6 inches, inside the hull - and I think the thicknesses were .015" ?? Looks like razorblades.

So, with a zillion spotwelds how is it going to look ...? - like the 8th Dwarf, who hangs out in the metal shops - "Lumpy."

So, they swizzle-finished the whole hull - which helped camouflage lot, except when the light is just right, and then - dang, is that Lumpy ....?

Another "camouflage" is using the DA, occipital sander, to go over finished parts. That random sander pattern is known in aircraft metal shops as "camouflage."

hope this helps ...

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 06-26-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Default damascened copper

One of my "artsy metal" pieces - when I run out of real parts to make ...

P1120538.jpg
Laid out by eye and done by eye.
Drill press.
ex. fine lapping compound mixed with coarse rubbing compound
3in1 oil for slurry.
Leather disc, slow speed, unfinished side of leather against work
Wood dowel.
(I am not a real artist. I made this for a real artist for his birthday.)

Last edited by crystallographic; 06-26-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Default Engine turning

I use maroon scotchbrite discs or the leather pad with abrasive slurry. Don't be too precise with layout. When I used a CNC mill to do this it looked fake, like a sticker. I use a straightedge for the long run alignment and eye-ball the spacing. Center of one to the outside edge of the next.

I hated the fingerprints on my stainless kitchen cook top, so I engine turned that. I get lots of "Where do you by that?" comments.

Another option is grinder art.
grinder art.jpg
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Kent
You are gluing leather down , wood glue ? epoxy ?