All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRussell View Post
Hi John,

If it only were that simple! I sure have seen a lot of inadequate mig welds. Why? Well, there just isn't a "plug in and go" welder that won't require some learning curve. I'm in the camp of O/A for a home shop on a budget.
I don't get those who say MIG is easy. I'm an "ok" O/A welder and have spent literally WEEKS trying to learn to MIG. All I can do is porcupine quills and surface laid gobs. And, oh yeah, random self-electrocution every 5 minutes or so.

Screw that. I'm sticking with O/A.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 AM

Default used made in the usa.

I learned to weld in high school shop 60 plus years ago. then it was O/A and ac arc. one welding shop in town 40 miles away had a heli- arc welder. ON the ranch all we had was a forney AC stick welder. We would soak 6011 rod in a bucket of water then turn up the heat ( actually plug in the cables to high ) and burn and poke to "cut" then grind, My eyes aren't that good any more and I prefer O/A for thin work. I have bought used and still have. two victor torches, lincoln ac tombstone, a lincoln sp200 wire feed with a big bottle co2, a lincoln Square wave tig 255 that will stick weld with the foot pedal amp control, , an airco A/C D/C with high Freq. And traded for a lincoln gasoline welder that now needs the Wisconsin rebuilt. My kids now have the sp200, the airco, tombstone and gasoline welders and the large bottle O/A 300 miles away.
I prefer USED made in the USA machines. one of my son's import small flux core only lasted one year.
one advantage is all the shop equipment is in the farm LLC.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Here's a small gas rig for sale, used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...EAAOSwtfhYoljS

includes bottles, regs, Meco torch, hose, etc. Might offer $250....?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustreapers View Post
“First time welder on a budget” are the key words and your advice should be geared to these criteria. DO NOT buy Harbor Freight. Miller and Hobart make a variety of low budget 120v gas shielded welders. Miller has a Millermatic 125 (hobby) welder starting at @ $600.00. Extra costs would be a bottler of gas, gloves, jacket, and a helmet. My Harbor Freight helmet has been adequate. An additional hidden cost would be a cart to hold the bottle and welder.
Do your homework of course and pay attention to the term duty cycle. As I understand it this is a rating of maximum power output (thickest metal being welded) to the maximum time this unite can handle before shutting down to cool off. The 125 unit has a duty cycle of 20% meaning you can weld 3/16” thick steel for 2 minutes at a time. If you stitch weld you can extend the welding time. For 18 ga you would stitch weld any way and most units don’t shut down at this lower power setting.

Good luck and lets us know how you make out!!
Rustreaper.
A couple more questions...
can you run a gas welder outdoors, I'm working out doors.
Someone mentioned Tractor Supply, what about the Lincoln entry level brands they sell at NAPA?
I just have a hard time justifying spending gobs of money like some people are suggesting on something that I'm going to use a handful times.

Last edited by topher5150; 04-24-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Someone mentioned Tractor Supply, what about the Lincoln entry level brands they sell at NAPA?
I just have a hard time justifying spending gobs of money like some people are suggesting on something that I'm going to use a handful times.
Yup, good thinking.
Yes, gas welding works in the rain, the wind, and also outdoors.
A cutting torch is a big help - and sometimes you can find a drag tip for doing sheet steel of different thicknesses- 14ga to 22 ga. Victor is super available - 100 model, or J100. I have an extra drag tip for that, available.

"Buzzbox" stick welder, Miller or Lincoln. I had both for years. Miller was more adjustable. I stick welded cast iron, steel and stainless. Hooks up to dryer circuit on house current. Had my first small shop with torch and stick welder for 5 years....

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
It usually takes more than a hand full of welds to produce sound welds so you might just consider paying an expert to weld for you especially if the welds are going to be structurally important. Not trying to be a wise guy here……… just thinking out loud on the subject. ~ John Buchtenkirch
P.S. If you do buy good welding equipment you shouldn't have any problem selling it after your project is finished .

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 04-24-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
It usually takes more than a hand full of welds to produce sound welds so you might just consider paying an expert to weld for you especially if the welds are going to be structurally important. Not trying to be a wise guy here……… just thinking out loud on the subject. ~ John Buchtenkirch
P.S. If you do buy good welding equipment you shouldn't have any problem selling after your project is finished .
Yes - I took the night welding courses at the local high school. Bought my gear and practiced. Asked welders questions on Friday afternoons, before 5pm, as they were finishing up. Laid a $5 on the bench and asked if I could get some info about welding. Or a pack of beer.... Never got turned away.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Yes - I took the night welding courses at the local high school. Bought my gear and practiced. Asked welders questions on Friday afternoons, before 5pm, as they were finishing up. Laid a $5 on the bench and asked if I could get some info about welding. Or a pack of beer.... Never got turned away.
It's amazing what kind of help/advice you can get when you bring beer into the equation.
It's like the old Lynard Skynard song, you give the man some drinking money, and he'd play his guitar all day for you.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
P.S. If you do buy good welding equipment you shouldn't have any problem selling after your project is finished .
I think this is good advice. To justify buying welding equipment worth using, you need to think long term.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 AM

What do you guys think of this one? There is another site that sells them refurbd for even less money.
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/1472/...ler130MIGWelde