All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Default Conventional O/A Torch recomendations

Anyone care to recommend a conventional style torch? I have a Cobra/DHC2000 and just got a Meco Midget (which I love) but I don't really like the Cobra for doing anything but heating stuff up. I find the pistol grip to be awkward and uncomfortable when trying to weld. So if you guys have some recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I'm only interested in USA made stuff and ideally would like to find something older on Ebay. I really like old tools, quality was better back then. Some of the ones I was considering are the Smith Torches. I like the Smith AW's. I realize they were marketed for aluminum how do they do with steel? What other Smith torches should I look out for? What older Victor models should I look for? Any others that would suit?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Anyone care to recommend a conventional style torch? I have a Cobra/DHC2000 and just got a Meco Midget (which I love) but I don't really like the Cobra for doing anything but heating stuff up. I find the pistol grip to be awkward and uncomfortable when trying to weld. So if you guys have some recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I'm only interested in USA made stuff and ideally would like to find something older on Ebay. I really like old tools, quality was better back then. Some of the ones I was considering are the Smith Torches. I like the Smith AW's. I realize they were marketed for aluminum how do they do with steel? What other Smith torches should I look out for? What older Victor models should I look for? Any others that would suit?

Thanks.
Smith A1W1 is excellent. I have two. One is the old version before it was the A!W1, and has the swelled necks that are gold plated. Both are very good on both aluminum and 4130 chromoly - and mild steel body sheet also. This is an "aircraft torch."

I also have the Victor J-20, J27 and J28 (new). I have both tip sets, the ones with the cooling fins and the plain ones. They are "aircraft torches" and are good on aluminum and chromoly, and mild steel body sheet.

I don't own a Harris, but they are also good torches. Airco made a good small torch, also.

Personally, I can spend a long time welding dozens of linear feet, and I don't care for a round body torch because my torch hand begins to lose its sensitive grip after a few hours of sustained welding and the torch will tend to rotate in my sweaty hand.

I weld with either hand but they both go "soft" on the grip after some time, so I like the flat body torch because it is easier for me to hang onto doing "in position", vertical and horizontal welds over a few hours' time.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I have a smaller or average size Airco /Conocoa torch that I like very, very much- much more than the Victor torch I have. I started welding with the Airco, zero experience, and was surprised when using other torches. Nearly all have been harder for me to adjust or use as well.

The Victor was cheaper and from Kent's previous comments, I'm thinking the Victor issues may be related to lower quality tips than the torch. The Airco torch is very nice- I really like it. Tips for it are not as readily available or as cheap as tips for the Victor. When I needed one, the price of a single rosebud tip for the Airco was roughly equivalent to the entire Victor cutting &welding kit including rosebud.

They are both round body and as mentioned, that can be a drag. My hands are not great after years of pneumatic hammer use. When brazing tools all day, the round body (especially the smaller Airco) becomes harder to handle. I end up bumping the adjusters trying to keep a comfortable grip. Not sure if a Meco Midget would be suitable for brazing like that, but will eventually find out...

I did get some gas welding gear with a bandsaw purchase a while ago, including an older Craftsman oxy-acetylene torch with a built-in shut-off valve that would eliminate the need for another separate gas saver. Looks like a great idea but I have not tried it yet. It's slightly larger in diameter (and weight) so not sure if it will be better to use or not. The Airco torch works so well, it's always the one I want to use.

After working at RockHillWill's during his events, I want to have a second torch assembled to be able to anneal aluminum while working without swapping any tools. It just makes sense.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Wish I still lived in the Bay Area (Livermore) Mr. White as I'd love to attend some of your workshops. Thanks for all the good advice. (you too Cliff).