All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSark61 View Post
The radius on the rail is something I’d like to keep era correct and I had thought of something similar to the 2piece . I had also thought of taking a tall c channel and using cuts to move the lower up to meet the top making the profile.
Absolutely love your Bugatti project !
Jerry this is not my Bugatti project - this is an epic exact reproduction Type 59 my buddy Rob built for a customer. It does use the 5.0l touring engine, but otherwise is the GP car. My Type 51 is all BS, albeit based around a dimensionally correct chassis. Alfa 2.0l twin spark with a supercharger. Should look pretty close from the outside, but all modern under the skin. Rob's son is about to head off to work for Tula Engineering in the UK, so I'll have more access to Bugatti info I suspect. May need to pony up and buy a reproduction front axle and wheels from them to get the project done. Let me know what you decide on your rails.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

i came across a short video early last year i think, done by brian tanti. he was repairing a chassis section, obviously had some coin to throw at it. not like me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_EVZvcTbFQ&t=64s

clever guy though, i love his work.

just thought it might help
Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

I saw a 30mm thick, frame-shaped profile in one store. They attached the sheet to this profile, gradually warming and hammering and bending both sides.I got the pain in my hands just from the this imagine. But I believe the result had to be perfect. Work for slave ....
If you will use a powerful pneumatic riveter or you make a tool into Pullmax, you can do anything.
You must will do steps move slowly. It is feasible. See You tube from Neil.

Historical Note: Autogen - Oxygen and Hydrogen was used in 1801 !!!! Vikipedia.

Nothing new thing.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I saw a 30mm thick, frame-shaped profile in one store. They attached the sheet to this profile, gradually warming and hammering and bending both sides.I got the pain in my hands just from the this imagine. But I believe the result had to be perfect. Work for slave ....
If you will use a powerful pneumatic riveter or you make a tool into Pullmax, you can do anything.
You must will do steps move slowly. It is feasible. See You tube from Neil.

Historical Note: Autogen - Oxygen and Hydrogen was used in 1801 !!!! Vikipedia.

Nothing new thing.
I could imagine that was quite a workout !
Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Jerry this is not my Bugatti project - this is an epic exact reproduction Type 59 my buddy Rob built for a customer. It does use the 5.0l touring engine, but otherwise is the GP car. My Type 51 is all BS, albeit based around a dimensionally correct chassis. Alfa 2.0l twin spark with a supercharger. Should look pretty close from the outside, but all modern under the skin. Rob's son is about to head off to work for Tula Engineering in the UK, so I'll have more access to Bugatti info I suspect. May need to pony up and buy a reproduction front axle and wheels from them to get the project done. Let me know what you decide on your rails.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the 2pc rail to keep a traditional radius . I will keep a definite European flavor but as if an American built it
as his vision of a true sports/ early race inspired car

thank you for your input!
Jerry
Old 03-06-2019, 01:19 AM

JSark, here is a thought. Plasma cut your framerails each in four pieces like shown in your first post, then use a flaring tool like my bud Mike Mittler has at mittlerbros.com to radius the holes inward. Use a short piece of tubing the same I.D. as the hole and weld it together between the two sides of the rail, such that instead of having two holes in each side rail, there is a tunnel through the rail. It makes a frame as tough as nails, keeps all of the road grime from settling inside your rails, and very few have ever seen this before. It also keeps with your theme of European with a twist. I built a motorcycle frame like this 30 years ago and it is still as good as it gets. You might also consider, on the motorcycle frame I left all of the grinder marks and shot it with a clearcoat powdercoat. The whole motorcycle is nothing but grinder marks.