All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I did some final finishing of the stations this week. It was getting difficult for me to bring all these angles and curves in to where I needed them. There is a belt height body line that actually starts at the front of the hood, sweeps around the doors and continues through the quarters and across the deck lid area. I was having trouble trimming the stations in this area because there are multiple compound curves converging, then fading away or changing through their lengths. Also, the belt line starts out nearly vertical at the front of the quarter panel, then gradually changes to nearly flat horizontal at the rear of the deck lid.

What I ended up doing was cutting the body line area out of the pine stations and precutting accurate radiused patches from 1/4" pressboard then adjusted them side to side, and up and down until I got a smooth flowing line that brought all these curves and angles together cleanly. It took a while but I'm very pleased with the results.

It's relatively easy to transfer dimensions and contours from an existing part to a buck, but to create a buck from just a vision in your mind is a whole different animal. What you think you want might not work, or might not look as good in reality as it did in your mind's eye. In this case, so far, I think I'm on track.

I read a post somewhere here by a newbee that stated, basically, that after making a few rust repair panels, he feels he's ready to create a car from scratch. Godspeed, my friend. I don't mean any disrespect. I'm not one to try to crush one's dreams. I'm just saying it will be a monumental task. I'm 61 now and have been doing collision repair and custom work for nearly 40 years. This project will take me about two years to complete and I'm only "creating" about 50% of the body.

Anyway, I'm making progress slowly. I'm limited to what I can physically do and I seem to run out of steam after a few hours. I'm nowhere near fully recovered but each day gets a little better.

Name:  152.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  71.1 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 01-05-2016 at 01:50 AM.