All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsmith View Post
What I meant to clarify was that craig Naff does this repair as a preformed wired-edge arch. Not the way you tout. It's been a while since I've watched this particular video, but it seems he TIG welds the repair.

I think that there is merit in being able to do these repairs in multiple methods. You simply choose the one that meets the requirements of being the best choice for the application.

Dan Stevens
dba, Steelsmith

Dan, (sorry I just could not think of your name off the top of my head before)

I agree with what you say about there being merit in being able to do these repairs in multiple methods. I have always stated this. I do things a little diferently to most people I think and what I try to do is give food for thought, there is always more than one way.

The repair turned out well, and as I said I have done it this way in the past, (not with a hammerform because I could make the panels quicker than I can make the hammerform - not to say that I dont use hammerforms) in some instances I may well do it in this way again.

Craig Naff is a very talented person and has been doing this stuff for a long time, but he may well show a method that he thinks others will be able to reproduce rather than the method he would use normally. This is what I have done at times in magazine articles I have written. I hope no-one will misconstrue what I have said.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 09-18-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm probably violating a forum rule since I just thew this question in at the end of another post in the beginner section, but this might be a better place to ask - what actual material is used for a wire bead ? Not sure what you guys are referring to when you talk about the wire. Also, if this is steel, how do you keep the wire and the insides of the metal wrapped around the wire from rusting ? Are you simply depending it all being covered externally in paint ? That might work on a fender top but in the wheel well I have a hard time believing it.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 AM

Default wire bead

Preston , I used 3/16 brake tubing, it is all ready treated for corrision protection and readily avaible at most auto parts houses. Ford used approximatily 1/8 solid wire I think not sure on spec. The solid wire fatiuges and brakes over time any way so we are trying tubing. I dont see how it could be worse. Hey I build Hot rods,street rods what ever you want to call them ,so I dont care what Henry used. I hope this helps .
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

I have made and repaired a lot of wings (fenders) and I have found that corrosion between the wire and the metal of the wing is not a problem. The wing can often corrode away and the wire will be sound.
If the wire edging is done properly the edge is just about airtight.

I would not recommend using tubing because I feel it will fracture a lot easier than steel wire. Henry and the thousands of other companies that made wings with wire edges for decades, I am sure spent a lot of money and time looking for a better way and If they did not find one untill the advent of pressed panels I doupt there is a better way and dont forget that those wings have been around a very long time.

I use galvanized fencing wire, (for steel I use 3mm (1/8th) and for ally 4mm) this has always worked for me and I made wings twenty five years ago that are still out there, I have never had a comeback from rusted edges or splitting.

Hope this helps

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 09-25-2009 at 05:19 AM.