All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Greetings from Surge Cycles in Spokane, WA

Hello,

I'm the founder of Surge Cycles, a small business dedicated to the design and manufacture of high-performance cruiser-style electric bicycles. I've built two prototypes so far, and am now working on my third; this will become the template for my first production run.

The goal of the first prototype was to see if it was even possible to achieve my design goals and performance specifications, which was accomplished. The second prototype was intended to qualify a final set of components, with the option of trying some alternatives should the initial selections prove inadequate, which was also accomplished. The goals for the third prototype are to make it as visually appealing as possible, while making it as simple to manufacture as possible; the primary challenge I face for this design is the fabrication of the enclosure that contains the battery, motor and electronics.

After researching various options I concluded my best option for the enclosure is to fabricate it from 20 gauge mild sheet steel, using various techniques to shape the sheet metal into an effective and appealing enclosure. I'm hoping to learn from the people here on this forum, and perhaps get some guidance regarding the best method and equipment to use towards this end.

Elliott - the e-bike guy
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Welcome Elliot. Pictures, we need pictures.

Why steel bodywork instead of aluminum?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM

Default Why steel bodywork?

Hello Kerry,

I'm currently using steel bodywork because my TIG welding skills are still fairly basic, and I can get much better welds on steel than I can on aluminum. Here's a picture of my second prototype, this was made from scratch, with a purpose-designed frame fabricated from 4130 chromoly tubing.

E-Trekker 1b.jpg