All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-10-2023, 01:15 PM

John,

For the volumes that have sold out would it be worth organising 'print on demand' for them. It's not a technology I was aware of until I ordered a copy of William H Longyard's 'Learning the English Wheel', I expected to be sent a copy from the US but instead was informed that a copy would be printed on demand for me at Lightning Source UK Ltd Milton Keynes in the UK and a few days later it arrived and I ordered the hard cover option as it was only slightly more than the soft cover option. I was impressed with the quality, I would say equal to the Tim Barton series which I already had, and colour photos. Cost was similar to the Tim Barton volumes also.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Thanks for the heads-up, John. Much appreciated. Lane replied quickly to my inquiry and my last two books are on the way.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2023

Is there a book #8? On the back of book 6 is has 8 listed?
Old 08-13-2023, 05:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Todorow View Post
Is there a book #8? On the back of book 6 is has 8 listed?
No, there is no #8. I saw the cover of #8 pictured so asked to purchase a copy when I bought #6 & #7 a couple of days ago. Lane said that there is no #8 and that she doubts it will ever be written.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:55 PM

Default Print on demand

Hi DavidB - we'll look into it. In the past we had to order 25 or more to get printing and shipping costs down. Likely your suggestion is valid, but I think the price may be prohibitive.

Hi Dan Todorow - No, if you look back through the threads related to Timothy Barton's death you'll find a lot of information. We were able to acquire boxes of his materials, but nothing digital. Pure speculation here, but as there may have been liability for collecting funds and not sending books, I think the family just wanted the issues to go away.

From the materials we got from the family Bill Longyard was able to write #7, but there was nothing to let us know what was supposed to be in #8.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:04 AM

Email sent about availability

Would be great to have someone on the sheet metal shaping podcast to tell this story. Bill longyard be the best person to do so?
Old 09-03-2023, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Yes. Bill is your guy.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:56 PM

Default Barton Books

Well this is going to be one of the last posts about the books. Lane has closed her bookstore and soon they won't be available. Digital has killed books, CD's and DVD's.

What are the Barton Books? Read back through this thread for the story.

Can you still buy some of the volumes? Yes, see below, and ebay until the end of the year.

I'm glad that working with Bill Longyard, Kent White and others that we were able to save what was left. Would have loved to have also found the videos he had - but that was not to be. In fact, we never even found a record of what it would include.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Well this is going to be one of the last posts about the books. Lane has closed her bookstore and soon they won't be available. Digital has killed books, CD's and DVD's.

What are the Barton Books? Read back through this thread for the story.

Can you still buy some of the volumes? Yes, see below, and ebay until the end of the year.

I'm glad that working with Bill Longyard, Kent White and others that we were able to save what was left. Would have loved to have also found the videos he had - but that was not to be. In fact, we never even found a record of what it would include.
Very sad to hear this, but from watching the "digital phenomenon" the foot traffic (younger feet) are going that way - easier, lighter, cheaper, faster - but.....

"Edit/Delete" will be the utimate demise.

Library of Alexandria yet remains an echoing reminder - and Pliny/Elder remains quoted as only one who had the last editions.

I'm buying used copies of Lindsay copies of WW2 metalworking books this week - which I have nice "hard" originals of. And I have searched for hours to find good copies of other early books for up-and-coming craftsmen.
Was perusing my "Barton correspondences" = too much for one sitting.
Glad I was able to support his hunger for sources, as those books kept getting published ..... never thought the demise would arrive so soon.

Found a new-in-box sony CD player today. Glad to have that as discs fare better on newer gear than via old rumblers.

Saw a venerable metal reporting website get hit by cybercrime this week. First-ever since web first sprouted up.

Edit/Delete will always be around.

Sigh,

HABU c2.jpg

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:15 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Saw a venerable metal reporting website get hit by cybercrime this week. First-ever since web first sprouted up.

Yes, this is proof that stupidity is always one step ahead....

It's sad how humanity doesn't appreciate its own progress. On the positive side, ignorance allows the emergence of new ideas or the discovery of forgotten ones.