All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Jack, can you talk to a "friend" that has a Pizza Oven?

Take your "drape form" and get there in the AM while it's warming up?

Kudos for all you do!

Marc
Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Jack, you may be the most well rounded metal shaper I know. Dude, you know how to do EVERYTHING!

Regarding your ABS, have you considered making an oven out of some duct board and a propane weed burner?

I've made some holsters our of Kydex which I think is about the same as ABS.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post

Regarding your ABS, have you considered making an oven out of some duct board and a propane weed burner?

I've made some holsters our of Kydex which I think is about the same as ABS.
I think I know what you're referring to. Is duct board that compressed fiberglass panel with the foil backing? If so, would you be heating from the inside with the burner? Foil inward and heat from inside? Did you have ductwork inside to distribute heat evenly?
Do you have a picture of the one you made?

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
... Is duct board that compressed fiberglass panel with the foil backing? If so, would you be heating from the inside with the burner? Foil inward and heat from inside? Did you have ductwork inside to distribute heat evenly?

Do you have a picture of the one you made?
Yes, that is duct board. You should be able to get it from most HVAC shops. When I was a kid back in the mid 60's I worked in HVAC and we made duct work from galvanized 20ga with glued on insulation on the inside...nasty job.

Duct board revolutionized the industry, When I built our house, I purchased a special knife that cut a 90 degree V in the insulation without touching the foil. It has two blades and you just slide it along and then fold the panels into a box and tape them closed with metal foil tape. That became the main trunk lines that the 6" feeder lines ran off of to their position in front of windows or wherever.

I don't think the foil outside would hold up to exposed flame like the inside would. It has a crossed string backing that couldn't take the heat...maybe. You could also make it double layer.

I've never built an oven out of it but thought about building a powder coat oven using the same technology. The weed burner just came to mind. It would be hard to control the heat. If you google DIY power coat ovens, you'll find lots of folks who have built them using oven coils and thermostats to control the heat. Obviously, it'd take trial and error to get just the right temp.

When I was doing Kydex, I used a 1000W heat gun and the Kydex would get floppy soft. If you had some kind of structure to lay it into or over, it will harden back up as it cools. I assume ABS would be the same

It's funny how things work out. This morning, I needed to install my vinyl tonneau on my pickup but it was 60 degrees out and the tonneau shrinks in cooler weather and is impossible to stretch enough to engage all the snaps.

As I was making my reply to you today, I thought ''...humm...a weed burner..." An hour later, I put the tonneau ribs on and stretched the tonneau as much as it would go. I laid some stringers in so the tonneau was off the bed of the truck. Firing up my Harbor Freight weed burner, I let it run on low without pointing it at anything but the back of the bed. When I felt the heat coming back out the back, I turned off the burner and quickly snapped the snaps. The tonneau was nice and supple and warm but not hot. The whole process has taken me 2 hours before but today it was only 10 minutes. Thanks for making me think of it! LOL
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Heating large sheets of plastic

This is messy and you have to be careful, but hot cooking oil can be used to soften plastic enough for forming. The heat is very uniform. If you make a box with the plastic sheet on the bottom, the weight of the oil may be enough to force the plastic around the mold. Vacuum is even better.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM

In the course of my job (equipment rental) I get to meet all kinds of tradesmen that are kind enough to share a little inside baseball. When I was trying to put a radius on the inside of a abs interior panel the only thing I could ever picture for heating up a sheet was a large oven like a pizza oven. Luckily for me a gentleman came into the store and he built and designed heat treating ovens and furnaces, so I asked him about it. He asked me how hot I thought it might need to be, I told him maybe 250 degrees, since that is not terribly hot he suggested that I could just make it out of wood. He suggested a couple of pieces of plywood held far enough apart to rack your plastic and allow the hot air to pass over each side of it with a some restriction on the exhaust side to slow the heat passing inside the channel. In the end I didn't have to use this method so all the details have not been worked through, but it sounded doable in a home shop.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
Jack, can you talk to a "friend" that has a Pizza Oven?

Take your "drape form" and get there in the AM while it's warming up?

Kudos for all you do!

Marc
Or powder coating "friend"
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM

I woke up this morning with a feeling that I ALMOST figured this fender liner out. I went out to the garage and stared at nothing for about an hour and was getting nowhere. I also needed to take the last A/C fitting out to a friend to have him TIG weld a switch port into it for me. Below, on the left is the original. The new one is on the right. They make these with ports already installed but not in the position that I needed. The weld is perfect. Kudos to those that can TIG anything, anywhere, any time and make it look like it was done on a machine.
While I was driving back home I was thinking about forming the liners and it came to me. (That's how I ran myself over last May, not paying attention.)

Name:  1321.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  34.6 KB

I'll use radiant heat. I'll make a down and dirty buck. One shot, then into the burn pile with it. The frame below will provide some rigidity while I'm fighting with the ABS. I'll make the rest out of layers of 2" foam insulation board. The last panel or two on the inboard side, where it gets wider to meet the frame, will be removable so I can move it to the other side to make the liner for the right side.
I have a carbon fiber welding blanket that I'll lay over the buck to insulate the foam from the hot ABS. Then, over the top of the ABS I'll cut a piece of an old bed sheet (NOT the one off the bed, or I'll be sleeping on the couch with a sheet that has a 6 foot round hole in it). Lay the sheet over the top of the soft ABS and use a bunch of bunjy cords in various directions, hooked to the perimeter of the sheet and down to the base of the buck. If it starts to cool down too soon, I can move the heaters to heat it while I'm tying down. If I get the cords in the right position, they'll apply even pressure all the way around. It should work.... Maybe.

Name:  1319.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  71.2 KB

I ordered 2 of these off of fleaBay today. Double quartz bulbs, 1500 watts, 27 inches wide. Two of them should heat the whole panel evenly. I'll still make the liners in two pieces, though.

Name:  1320.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  60.5 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1318.jpg (58.0 KB, 359 views)

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 10-15-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:33 PM

I am thinking that we will need to see video of this.... please.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 AM

I picked up some low density 2" foam board. This stuff is crap to work with but costs half what high density foam costs. It's a throw away so it only needs to work twice. I made a template of the inside contour of the fender liner right down the center of where the tire will be. I am measuring from the center outward because a lot of this will be symmetrical and can be used as is on both sides of the car.

Name:  1322.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  53.5 KB

Look closely at this blade. It's made to cut plastics and it zips through this foam as quick, clean and easy as drawing the line with a Sharpy. I don't know the science behind it but I think it cuts in both directions without heating up the plastic and melting it. I've had this blade for years to cut plexiglass lenses, lexan windshields, etc. The only problem with what I'm doing now is that the blade isn't long enough to cut through the 2" foam, so I still had to use a knife to finish the cuts.

Name:  1323.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  59.9 KB

There are seven layers here. They are glued together with contact cement permanently. The center of these panels will be right down the center of the tire. I will build on the inboard and outboard sides to match the shape of the fender and framework but I won't glue them down as well as I did with these. I'll need to remove them and swap them side for side to make the right side liner.

Name:  1324.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  1325.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  37.5 KB