All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Cass Nawrocki

The other day Dan (Rout56wingnut) called and asked if I could go with him to Cass's shop today(sunday). Dan picked me up around around 8 in the morning so we could make the couple hour trip up there. As we arrived Cass was busy working in the shop on some of his personal projects. One of the first projects he showed us was how he had to make some bumpers out of 10 gauge, the part that really get got me was how he made it sound so simple. He had some material and the dies there so he showed us how it was done in the eckold and it came out with a finish good enough to be a finished part. Cass had also showed us a bunch of his very simple but ingenious tooling for the eckold as well as the pullmax. The only car in the shop that Cass was working on was the lamborghini miura that Dan had taken pictures of from one of the time he was there. Cass had replaced both the front and rear ends of the car as the owner had pulled it out of another shop.
This is only scratching the surface of what i learned and seen from Cass today. I will have to follow up with more and hopefully Dan will chime in with more input and the pictures we took.

Jesse
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Hey Jesse, you are a lucky guy to have the time to go and visit Cas's shop. Let's hear more. . . .

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Cass

Cass knew we were coming to his shop. Dan has been there a few times before and they have become friends. Once we arived and after talking for a bit, it was neet to see a guy Of Cass's stature to treat me like an old friend.
One of the many things he showed us was his english wheel which is built out of one of the band saw frames that many will say are too weak to work. (Hopefully Dan will get the pictures tomorrow night) He has both an upper adjuster and lower adjuster; he says he usually uses the lower which is at 90 degrees, about a foot below the lower wheel's centerline. The reason for the adjustability, is he has many uppers and lowers from the small ones- aprox 2x3 all the way up to 6-7 tall by 2-3 wide lowers. There were also delrin rolls for certain bending of molding the hard way. Using all these wheels, he is able to do some very nice work on very high end cars from small panels to 11 foot long fenders/running boards. And to top off how nice those parts are, in the end, the car gets painted without the use of lead or bondo and the shine from lights in the pictures was all perfect- absolutly no waves.
There are so many neat things he showed us that it's hard to put it all into words.
Overall, my experience at Cass's shop was great. I had a great time at his shop.

Jesse
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Jesse, I would really like to meet Cass, see his shop and learn something from him. To just be able to see him work would be something.

Dan, where are the pictures?

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

I've been wanting to see Cass's shop ever since I met him at Dan's meet. I'm glad to hear he's working on a few things for himself. The upper and lower adjuster is something I've been wanting to do on my wheel. Even my '36 ford rear fenders hit the floor if I try wheeling them. I have blocks of wood I throw under it to raise it up now.

Jesse I didn't think Cass would let a camera in the shop and allow pictures to be put on the internet. Is he lightening up a little?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Jesse, I would really like to meet Cass, see his shop and learn something from him. To just be able to see him work would be something.

Dan, where are the pictures?
Joe,I already prepared him for our visit with you,Dyce and Kerry before the spring event.I thought I have seen most of the neet stuff he has but he brings more out all the time.Now that I have a Kraftformer,I can relate to the homemade tooling that he has come up with.He made plates that he welds tooling to just like we do with Pulmax tools.

IMG_0046_1_1.jpg

IMG_0047_2_1.jpg

IMG_0048_3_1.jpg

IMG_0049_4_1.jpg

IMG_0050_5_1.jpg

IMG_0051_6_1.jpg

IMG_0052_7_1.jpg

IMG_0053_8_1.jpg

IMG_0054_9_1.jpg

IMG_0055_10_1.jpg

IMG_0056_11_1.jpg

IMG_0057_12_1.jpg

IMG_0058_13_1.jpg

IMG_0059_14_1.jpg

IMG_0060_15_1.jpg

IMG_0061_16_1.jpg

IMG_0062_17_1.jpg
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Thanks for the pictures Dan!! That car is a work of art!! Hope it's a short summer... The adjusters on Cass's wheel look factory built. Did he say where they came from?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM

impressive!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Default sorry its a late reply

Hey sorry its a late reply on the pics

As you can see Cass let us take some pictures from around his shop. The first few are of the Muira that was pulled out of another shop as they were not equipted enough to take on the repairs the car needed. The first picture shows the front end that has been rebuilt by Cass including the nose that was mostly done using pictures as a reference as well as using some of the small parts like lights and turn signals to make sure everything was designed and fit properly. (The bondo on the door is not from Cass) The rear end has also been re greated as you will see the old in one of the last pictures under the lift.

The next couple pictures are of the head of his yoder. I had never seen one in person before so Cass took the time to thouroly clean the dies before running it so I cousee how it all works. As you can see the eccentric in very neer the middle and when he started it I understood why he took the time to clean the dies as these machines are very powerful and would of imbedded the junk into the dies.

down the page are also some pictured of his wheel made from the bandsaw frame that was said to be soft. It does have some flex but after talking to cass about flex in the frame I now have a different outlook on why it can work advantage. Also as you will notice in the background are some of the dies on the rack as well as a ton of them on the shelf. many of them as you will see are of a larger in diameter than we are usually use to and Cass explained a little to me on why he likes them better than the smaller ones.

The eckold dies that is a piece of inner bearing and the other is a slit piece of pipe are the dies that were use to form 10 gauge and came out of the machine with no clean up needed he told us. the true working of the dies is that the lwer has a jackscrew under either side the adjust the shape.

then the pictures end with the back end of the Muira and the original under the rack as well as the garbage can full of some oth the other parts thay came off of the car
Jesse