All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Default A re-introduction from CARS

Hello. Many of you already know me either from metal shaping gatherings (meet was the old term) or through the cyber world, but when I joined AMS the site didn't require an intro.

I live in rural St. James, MN on a 3 acre farm site. My home hobbies are taking care of my chickens, peafowl (peacock is the male bird), rabbits, cats, and dogs. And of course the consent maintenance of the acres of grass, garden, out building and old farm house repair/maintenance.

Becky (CARStoo) and 2 of our 4 children live here with me. The oldest daughter is in College and the oldest son... well, lets just say he lacks direction through life.

Ok, so you may be asking why it says Comfrey, MN under my profile. I grew up in Comfrey on a grain farm with my parents and younger brother. There I learn the art of fabricating and welding to keep our outdated equipment up and running. We never farmed anything but machining out so we did our own engine re-builds, paint, tire changes, etc. A great way to bring up a kid when I look back at it, although at the time I just wanted to do burnouts and chase skirts.

Fast forward to 1990, I graduated (actually on the B honor roll) from C.H.S. and enrolled in Automotive Collision Technology in Mankato, MN where I learned the art of body panel replacement, body filler, and high-build primer. The collision industry taught me for the next dozen years that it is not cost effective to repair anything but the smallest dent. I wanted more knowledge so with the introduction of the internet I found sites such as this one and started to learn.

Life in body shops went on. I came, I went, eventually working my way up to manager of one of the largest car dealerships in MN's body shop. I made it 1 year. I HATED IT! To keep me sane for that year I did some minor restoration work and paint jobs out of my attached garage. The family didn't like the fumes (more on that later) so I sought to build a shop at home. Then when visiting my hometown of Comfrey, I saw a For Sale sign at the old Mobil Gas station. I inquired and struck a deal to buy it for WAAYYY less than I could even pour a slab at home. Once I made it a year at the body shop and took my 2 weeks paid vacation, I gave my 2 week notice.

Now keep in mind that I have experience, tools, equipment, and a shop. But now I need customers so I put the word out to everyone at car shows, around town, etc. but I new I couldn't make it doing resto's right away so I took a welding job assembling truck bodies (dump boxes). After about 8 months of welding, I had enough work to give self-employment a go!

So as many of you know I have made a living restoring classic muscle cars. 90% of the panels are available now, so not a whole lot of fab but almost all the panels needed help to make them right. A few patches here and there, along with the massaging of those aftermarket panels led me here. All of the people here and other sites helped me go from a car with filler smeared all over to less than a 1/2 gallon on the average car!

Thanks!

Remember the fumes I talked about earlier, well after 25 years of fillers, primers, and paints I developed a skin reaction and with certain products I can actually taste them. Last year with those symptoms has made my work no fun and unlike 5+ years ago, I dreaded going to the shop. In an attempt to stick with it part time, I took a part time job cleaning out foreclosed homes. It was fun and interesting and did give me the opportunity to work in the shop a few days a week but I still didn't have any benefits, 401k, etc. A job hunt was on.

3 weeks ago I passed a weld cert test and was hired by AGCO in Jackson, MN. After a bunch of corporate BS like 8 hours of safety meetings and stacks of paperwork. Physicals, Drug tests, etc. I finally started welding last night! It's a good thing the pay and benefits are phenomenal because it's a lot more work than I am use to . But unlike that previous welding job, the conditions are awesome. Very clean and well run.

That got a little winded, are you still with me?

I still have a couple projects at C.A.R.S. to finish up and then it's going to be one hell of a hobby shop! Right now I am at AGCO welding small assemblies for Challenger and Massey Ferguson tractors along with Terra Gator floaters and Row Gator Sprayers. Until I am comfortable with the way the place works I have to work the 3-11:30pm shift this week and 3-1:30am the following weeks due to backlog. The shift I am after is Friday, Saturday, Sunday night 6pm-6am.

Don't worry gang, I will still be your bartender at the Route 56 gathering the end of April. I told them I had a important prior commitment! By the fall event I will have vacation time to take!

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Nice to meet you Chris (again), good luck with the new welding job. See you at Dans!

My two and a half year olds solution if i dont have something..( go buy some)! Thats my boy!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Hi Chris, welcome to the site (again)

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Great intro! Looking foward to seeing you and Becky again. Congrats on the new job

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Congrats on the new path Chris. I hope everything goes well with it.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154