All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Tony,

That idea's like a full nickels worth, or in todays money maybe a buck!!!

Bob
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedley View Post
Has it been suggested to make a flexible shape pattern and mark the points of the pins on the shape pattern before pulling it off. To help with adjustments to panels while shaping them. If you knew where the pins touched the shape pattern on the original body and where they touched on the buck it would help to know where to move the metal if you were having a problem during the shaping process.

just my 2c.
That sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarthdave View Post
........make it a fixed number in front of the front wheel center............
That's the way we do it in airplane land for doing CG calcs. You don't want to choose anything that can move or change, like the front of the engine case or the front end of the chassis rail.

I like to choose something welded in place rather than bolted in place. Still, I got caught out doing that because the fuselage structure changed at the firewall (where my reference was taken). I should have used the front wing spar fitting since that determines where the wings are located and it's the wings that set the CG range. Live and learn.....
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedley View Post
Has it been suggested to make a flexible shape pattern and mark the points of the pins on the shape pattern before pulling it off. To help with adjustments to panels while shaping them. If you knew where the pins touched the shape pattern on the original body and where they touched on the buck it would help to know where to move the metal if you were having a problem during the shaping process.

just my 2c.
Hi Tony.

If I'm understanding what your thought is, if the ply was to be cut say 1/8" inboard of the cut line, steel dome head dowels could be let into the board to a fixed depth 1/8 short of the dowel length. This would also do away with the need to contour the edges of the ply.

Thats a thought to ponder on over the next few weeks.

Thanks Tony

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Update

Measuring Bridge is almost ready to go, still only tacked as my stick welders at the menders setting up the tig side which I have never used. Once thats back I can finish off. Found that by using 20mm 2mm wall box section for the portable dowel holder, useing 6mm dowel I drilled holes 1" centres all along the tube with the hole close to one inner wall, then by passing 1/2" air line down the inside it gave great grip on the dowel without using air pressure. Will post pics in a couple of days.

Been to see the loan Cobra body to copy, will do what I want it for a treat although will have to check the wheel base because of the join between the 2 halves. Should be collecting it at the end of the month.

The first delivery of ply sheets will be delivered tomorrow, 5 to start with.
Have decided to go for a half buck with reversable sides as when working out the amount of ply required for the full buck I stopped counting at 25. This is working on a 6" grid in XY&Z with a smaller grid in detailed areas.

Pics coming soon

Cheers

Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z5Roadster View Post
Hi Tony.

If I'm understanding what your thought is, if the ply was to be cut say 1/8" inboard of the cut line, steel dome head dowels could be let into the board to a fixed depth 1/8 short of the dowel length. This would also do away with the need to contour the edges of the ply.

Thats a thought to ponder on over the next few weeks.

Thanks Tony
Tom,

I believe what Tony's suggesting is to do a flexible shape pattern off of the borrowed body, marking the location of the measured x,y,z, points on the pattern. That way you have a record of the actual panel shape and know exactly where it needs to fit to the buck once it's built. Record your panel seams and edges on the flexible shape patterns as well as other pertinent info like flange lengths, holes, cutouts and the like. His idea is one I'm stealing.

Your take on it is good too, but it may be good to get a full contact edge on the plywood stations. I would go for too much info over not enough.

Bob
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRodDoc View Post

You can also put down some press and seal where the station goes on the body. Then use two strips of square foam weather strip one on each side of where the dowels will hit the body. This will be the dam for the bondo.

Now but some bondo in one end and push the first two or three blunt tipped dowels down into it a little and lock each of them in the frame. Then more bondo and two or three more dowels down into it and etc.

This time when it cures and the frame is pulled away from the car you just cut off the weather strip then you will have an exact form of that station to trace along onto the wood as above.

Now just saw all the dowels off just above the bondo to get ready for the next station. Repeat the process.

If you would rather save that form use a small piece of plywood and glue to all the dowels just above the bondo. Now saw them off above the plywood you added to hold it all together. Dyna hair type bondo would stronger I guess.

Attachment 3503
Hi Bob.
Sorry to be a bit slow in understanding but are you saying it would be an advantage to have a series of these profiles stored with their location data when it comes to 'Moving Metal'

Sometimes I get lost in my own thoughts and cant see the wood for the trees .

Hope Ive got it right this time.

Cheers

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM

Tom,

This discussion has been all about how to gather the data for building a buck, but during the data acquisition process there's an opportunity to gather more than that. Tony's suggestion isn't dealing with buck making at all. He's saying, while you have the donor body, go another step and make a complete set of flexible shape patterns off of the donor body.

And if you are using dowels on a styling or measuring bridge to establish the shape of each buck station, he is saying to transfer some or all of those points to the flexible shape patterns so the shape patterns can be registered back to the buck once its built. Mark them on the finished buck as well. Mark as many features onto the flexible shape patterns as you can.

Flexible shape patterns are, of course, tape patterns giving you the complete shape of the panel where it was pulled from. These shape patterns are then used for the initial shape of your individual metal panels. Transferring the marks to the panels from the individual shape pattern then gives you the location of the individual panel on the buck.

You will speed up your metal shaping by using the shape patterns. Most folks struggle with not enough data when using only bucks for their projects. But, on the other hand, also struggle with using only flexible shape patterns on large projects like yours. But by using both, you have the exact shape and size of the panel in the flexible shape pattern and the arrangement and position of the panels to one another in the buck.

So, essentially, with the flexible shape pattern a panel could be formed anywhere in the world and then fit to the buck adjacent to it's neighbor that was made some where else in the world. That is if the panels fit their respective shape patterns.

Bob
Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Excellent idea Tony. There aren't many situations where too much shape or arrangement information will hurt the process.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM

The old guy in England is still unsure of what a flexible form is.

Some where on here I have seen what you call Bondo forms with what looks like a green plastic backbone with legs going into the bondo.

Perhaps David Gardiner could give me a clue what bondo is called over here. Would it be epoxy resin?

Is it the word 'Flexible' that is giving me the problem because in fact it is 'Ridged'.

Bob.
I did understand what you said in your last post about more info gained from day 1 can only be good. The fact that should you need to make a rear quarter section at a later date and send it 1/2 way round the world it would fit and that is what I would hope to achieve.

My intention is to record dimensionally into AutoCad all the data as it comes off the measuring beam, hopefully I can measure to within .010". The datum point will be within the cockpit area, as if I was to make a point out in front as suggested earlier I would not be able to reference to it when collecting data from the rear end. It will be relative to the wheel base in 'X', probably around the gear shift position.

May I take this opportunity to thank every one that has contributed to this thread and hopefully those who have viewed it found some useful information.

Thanks again guys