All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default A different kind of buck.....

Karl Steury sent me this link. While it's not metalshaping, it's interesting to see how he developed and created the shape. Make one heck of a good platform for an flexible shape pattern. It looks like he got the shape a perfect match.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/du...t-porsche.html
Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM

I've been coming back to this all day, not sure what to think about the project as a whole.

I see where your going with the concept of the framewerk used for a buck. Assuming one fastened the tubes with more than just packing tape... my first question is "how well would it hold it's shape?"

I also wonder about elemental, temperature changes, material weight in relation to the tube holding a consistent shape.

I'm not saying I'm forginstit (for or against it), it does however make me think about the possibilities of it's use & how to overcome any potential obstacles associated with it's use.

great.... now I'll have one more thing to the voices in my head to talk to me about
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

The licensing process must have been interesting.

It kinda looks quick and easy though so for some jobs it could be a useful method.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwerkz View Post
...great.... now I'll have one more thing to the voices in my head to talk to me about
ROTFLOL! So that's who they are!!!!!

I was amazed at how accurate it 'looks'! At first glance it's a Porsche with a weird paint job. I don't know how he made the stations and what he used for reference.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 PM

It's laughable at first... I however am starting to see a great amount of value here.
I one day want to build a "concept car" 100% from scratch.
for a minimal cost one could have a driving proof of concept.

I think for some projects this method could werk well.

The big 3 are missing out, this will soon become the new way to build concept vehicles.

The voices in my head tell me this is something worth researching
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Pvc

The guy has a great idea.

PVC pipe is available in varying thicknesses, so getting it to bend easily shouldn't be a problem in smaller sizes. A trick I used when buying 20' without a lumber rack on, is to bend it into a U in the pickup bed. This only works with 3/4" and below.

Ron Covell talks about laying out the tube chassis for the California Star roadster, his AMBR winner, using PVC pipe and a hot glue gun. He put it together, then if didn't like an area, was easy to knock it apart and try again. Once he got what he liked, just built it out of steel.

John
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Greenlee makes a heater specifically for PVC conduit so that it can be bent to shape.

http://www.toolup.com/greenlee_849_1...terbender.aspx

Last edited by hlfuzzball; 12-22-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM

That's pretty crazy. He was determined for sure!

Funny story:
A friend of mine wanted to build a vintage front engine dragster. He was basing the chassis off some old blueprints with all of the measurements. Being a plumber by trade, he decided to lay it all out of PVC tubing to make sure it would look right and fit the motor and himself into it before doing it out of expensive chromoly tubing.

He laid out the main rails, notched all of the PVC tubing and glued it all together. Since he was running a Chevy small block, he used a plastic mock-up motor to figure out his motor mounts and location, etc. We got the whole PVC chassis done and rolling with front & rear axles, the plastic mock-up motor installed, etc. He made all of his brackets out of flat ABS plastic. When he went to build the chromoly chassis, he simply used all of the tubing and flat brackets as templates. He cut all his chromoly and steel plate based off the patterns and once he had a pile of metal all cut, notched, and beveled...the chassis went together in 3 days and he was at the dragstrip 2 weeks later.

Later he reassembled the plastic mock-up chassis, painted it silver, and hung it on his garage wall until a guy offered to buy it from him for nearly $1000 so he could use it as wall art in his restaurant.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

I can see this method having some value in some situations for sure. I suppose it doesn't matter if you create the shape with popsicle sticks or whatever else that works, anything that will form a shape that can be duplicated with patterns is good enough.

I'd probably work off one side only with this project, as symmetry might be a problem on that project car.

Ken

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011