All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Business Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Default Tuck Puck Hammers

I have had so many requests for mallets that I have finally produced some mallets to add to my TuckPuck product line. I have lost a few TuckPuck sales because I didn't have a mallet available. So here it is. I put four out for use at Sun-n-Fun flyin and they were the only mallets that I put out to use. They passed the test. I will be posting some more information like weight and cost at a later date as i am being hammered with domestic projects since I got back from the flyin.
Knurled stainless steel handle and replaceable UHMW tips. I will probably add the "TuckPuck on a Stick optional head for shrinking small items. More on that later as well. The weight of the mallet is perfect for use with the TuckPucks. It is not a light weight but my pre-production testing proved out the effectiveness of the weight.

The one on the left was the first one that I made and used it for handle length and knurling tests. I shortened the handle on the production units. Note that of the 3 there are different tips on some ends.

Here is a pair with the heads ready to paint. I would love to find some affordable stainless for the head.

Cleaned up and drying previous to paint. These mallets are very labor intensive. I need to sit down and try to calculate how much to price them. I sold a few at Sun-n-Fun at $75 but that was a show special and way too cheap for the time that I have in them. I finished them up late the night before I drove down to SNF.I used SNF for testing and will use those four mallets from year to year.

More later, I have to finish the Taj Mahal of chicken coops today. Steel left over from putting up my building. I am all about using materials that are on hand. And that sort of explains the design of these mallets. Materials at hand.

Last edited by mr.c; 04-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM

WOW! Looks Great. It looks like a lot of work.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM

What size tubing are you using for the handle? I have large hands and would like to be sure the handle will be comfortable. And maybe it would be possible to make an oval-shaped bottom end by squashing the tube a little where your hand sits (after knurling). This might require a larger OD tube.

Keep us posted as to price, etc. I'm interested.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Bill: The stainless tubing is 1.25" OD. I had thought about doing the oval thing but the knurling works really well with absolutely no tendency to twist in your hand. I really like the feel of the mallet. I was a bit concerned about the weight but I really was amazed at how much better they moved the metal in the TuckPucks. You don't have to hit as hard.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 AM

I just tried some 1.25"OD aluminum tube. Feels pretty good in my hand but there's no weight to speak of. I think it would be OK. I could always do the oval mod if there was an issue with twisting or fatigue.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM

After using these mallets, all day, every day, at the Sun-N-Fun, I can attest that they are great tools! Nice balance. Good "throw weight" on the mallet end. Knurled handle gives great grip.
Highly Recommended!

(Some of you wimpy types (Charley) might find them a little heavy.)

Shrinking using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAFndATFo4&t=7s

Making a reverse using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlF1BoMCQI

Circular Truss E-Wheel
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15419
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Spectator

I highly recommend them I find them to be of high quality only second to the "Bowling pin on a stick" which is not in production yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

What is the diameter of the hammer faces ? Maybe it might just be easier to buy the hammers that have replaceable faces from the manufacturer and just make your own faces to your specs. It’s pretty hard to compete with a massive manufacturing operation on price . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Is the head piece solid? Tubing would be much easier to work and less expensive to buy. You could then fill the tube with steel shot or a hot rolled steel slug or slugs to get the weight back.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

the head piece is tubing, but it is the right wall thickness to give it the right weight.

Shrinking using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAFndATFo4&t=7s

Making a reverse using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlF1BoMCQI

Circular Truss E-Wheel
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15419