All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Question Seeking info about Lambroghini Miura

I’m in the investigative phase for another car project after I finish the GTO. I’m looking into scratch building a Lamborghini Miura SV and I'm seeking out information from wherever possible. I see a lot of information about projects on other Lamborghini models but not the Miura.

So some initial questions I’m trying to answer:
1. Has anyone built a Miura and is there a build diary posted anywhere?
2. Does anyone have detailed Miura chassis plans with detailed measurements, etc?
3. Has anyone figured out and built a transverse engine/trans/diff combo that’s in the 400 hp range? V12 preferred but V8 will also work.
4. Has anyone figured out what non-Miura donor parts can be used for such a project? For example, is there a windshield or side window glass from a mass production vehicle that is close enough in shape to use in a scratch built Miura?
5. Does anyone have a Miura body buck or body panel templates that could be used to confirm shape for new aluminum panels? I have the tooling and skills to shape body panels but don’t currently have the Miura shape information other than pictures.

This will be a one off project for me as I have no ambitions to “go into the car business”. Given this, I’m hoping to find some knowledgeable people who are willing to freely share information that would make this project feasible to do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

400sv.jpg
400sv1.jpg

have a look through the parts catalog if there could be anything you could buy to help the project become easier

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/

i've ordered plenty of stuff from these guy's in the past
Old 01-26-2018, 05:01 PM

That would be an interesting project!
For the engine, maybe a Northstar? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar_engine_series
I think some guys have put them in Fieros with the manual transaxle too.
For the body, you could try Humster, they will sell you a 3D model and will send you a file with slices to build a buck.
https://hum3d.com/3d-models/lamborgh...a-p400sv-1971/

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 01-26-2018, 09:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.murphy View Post
that site is pretty good, has anyone used it for buck building? i ask as the 'blueprints' i sent to jeffry for my buck turned out to be pretty useless, comparing it to a scan of a real car, the blueprints were 'pinched' in. making the car narrower than it should.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:10 AM

Customer I talked to a few months ago was thinking of a project similar to yours and we discussed using the Ford SHO V6 engine given its transverse mounting and transaxle setup (just mounted rearward). The is quite a bit of Yamaha engineering within it. Also it has a unique intake manifold or can be adapted to downdraft Weber carbs. (along with other parts to awaken the engine) Nice perk is the engine can be packaged as per the Miura and it is dirt cheap to acquire.

Customer acquired a Ferrari 308GT4 V8 engine and gearbox for cheap (wrecked car) and is using that instead now. Perk is that it is a transverse setup with gearbox oriented correctly and it has the special sound with a good exhaust
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Item of note for yourself -- a Lamborghini Miura SV is a very small cockpit vehicle. (and small wheels) Thus if building one from the ground up, you might consider making it 110+% in size and nobody would realize the difference. It also might give you more options for finding a windscreen as well and packaging of components within.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
I’m in the investigative phase for another car project after I finish the GTO. I’m looking into scratch building a Lamborghini Miura SV and I'm seeking out information from wherever possible. I see a lot of information about projects on other Lamborghini models but not the Miura.

So some initial questions I’m trying to answer:
1. Has anyone built a Miura and is there a build diary posted anywhere?
2. Does anyone have detailed Miura chassis plans with detailed measurements, etc?
3. Has anyone figured out and built a transverse engine/trans/diff combo that’s in the 400 hp range? V12 preferred but V8 will also work.
4. Has anyone figured out what non-Miura donor parts can be used for such a project? For example, is there a windshield or side window glass from a mass production vehicle that is close enough in shape to use in a scratch built Miura?
5. Does anyone have a Miura body buck or body panel templates that could be used to confirm shape for new aluminum panels? I have the tooling and skills to shape body panels but don’t currently have the Miura shape information other than pictures.

This will be a one off project for me as I have no ambitions to “go into the car business”. Given this, I’m hoping to find some knowledgeable people who are willing to freely share information that would make this project feasible to do.

Thanks in advance.
Joel
What I have done in the past is to buy a proper scale model about 1/18 of the same car, then get it scale up to size by computer program ( all you need to know is the real wheels base sizes) this will cut all profiles , and then... if the buck is to expensive simply buy the profiles only, use sweeps to do the rest
As far as the front window ...I think by memory a Corvette front window is close ,if not..... most American cars of the 60's/ 70's will do, simply by getting them cut to size, grill and bars can be made also, I think that the tail lights would be hard to find now days, seats frames can be modified from others European cars of that era, the chassis can also be made by ''cut and shut''other chassis that are similar......BIG JOB!!!! ( About 5000+ hours) ask me how I know.... in the past I have built a similar project from (''bits and pieces from any types of cars'')
Peter
PS back then I used a Jaguar XK 140 engine gear box and diff and floor pan...........

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 01-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Question Scaling up a cars size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Item of note for yourself -- a Lamborghini Miura SV is a very small cockpit vehicle. (and small wheels) Thus if building one from the ground up, you might consider making it 110+% in size and nobody would realize the difference. It also might give you more options for finding a windscreen as well and packaging of components within.
Mark: thanks for this tip. Given my 6'5" height, I'm sure some extra room will be necessary. I read somewhere else that in a Miura the top of a 6'1" person's head would touch the headliner. What's the best way to scale up a car's size. Is this best accomplished with modeling or CAD software? If you (or anyone else reading this) has experience, good or bad, with a given software program in doing this, please share your experience.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
Joel
What I have done in the past is to buy a proper scale model about 1/18 of the same car, then get it scale up to size by computer program ( all you need to know is the real wheels base sizes) this will cut all profiles , and then... if the buck is to expensive simply buy the profiles only, use sweeps to do the rest
As far as the front window ...I think by memory a Corvette front window is close ,if not..... most American cars of the 60's/ 70's will do, simply by getting them cut to size, grill and bars can be made also, I think that the tail lights would be hard to find now days, seats frames can be modified from others European cars of that era, the chassis can also be made by ''cut and shut''other chassis that are similar......BIG JOB!!!! ( About 5000+ hours) ask me how I know.... in the past I have built a similar project from (''bits and pieces from any types of cars'')
Peter
PS back then I used a Jaguar XK 140 engine gear box and diff and floor pan...........
I just checked out the windshield on a C4 Corvette (1995 model) and it looks promising. It doesn't have quite as much curve around the bottom edge as the Miura but it's pretty close on overall shape. I saw somewhere else where someone compared the overall silhouette between a Miura and C4 Corvette and they are very similar. So this is my leading candidate windshield for now. Next step is to figure out how to up size the cars dimensions so I'll fit inside and see if the C4 windshield height and width will work.

A quick price check and it appears the C4 windshield sells for about $200. That price has one less zero in it from a Miura windshield so that's more in the ballpark.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2019

The windshield is one of the most difficult pieces to deal with on a car like this. Trying to fit a windshield to a completed car will drive you insane. If you finds a windshield that is close in shape and proportion you should get the entire structure from the doner that holds the glass and work your design around that. If you scale off that windshield you may end up with a car that will accommodate your size.

MGB roadster widened 11.5", Corvette C-4 suspension, 535 hp supercharged LT1 V8, T-56 6 speed.
Pictures here: It goes to Part 6 now
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422