All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 PM

Default Compound curve on a Fender

I need advice on how to make this corner piece. The fender radius is about 6" from sides up to the top. The radius changes flowing from the top to the front as it wraps around.
002.jpg
Here is the inside
003.jpg
This is the piece giving me fits, I have been shrinking with thumbnail shrinker and have the fender side to top curve but cannot get it to 'roll' around to the front. I did it on the inside piece but I think all that extra metal needed to go down to form the wheelwell is holding the metal captive.
006.jpg
What am I doing wrong?
I have been going straight in with the shrinking, I tried a 'fan' pattern and it produced bump where they joined.
After shrinking I planish with RamsHead and then wheel it out.
I have tried some lateral shrinks, left and right sides, making a V pattern in the middle of the radius, it didn't seem to help.
I have tried to stretch the center of the panel by wheeling, it produced an interesting lump.
My pattern was fan shaped.
Thats about all the relevent stuff I can think of, wish the pics were better.
Thanks Oj
Old 05-21-2020, 02:25 PM

I presume I am seeing passenger side front fender. Therefore I can presume there is a driver side fender. I this is the case I believe you would benefit from a flexible shape pattern made from driver side fender it will help you understand what need shrinking and what needs stretching better than anything else. Search FSP in search function on this sight there is a lot of info
when you make it try to keep thickness build up in the pattern to minimal because you turn it inside out for the other sides fender . When you you have to much crown the edges flop when to little the middle is shack .
FSPs also can transfer final shape in near perfect forward and mirrored
Old 05-21-2020, 02:28 PM

Sorry bad presumptions you look like building from scratch so if this is first then to be mirrored for other side you might want to make up a foam buck of sorts to get the shape you desires then fsp it
Old 05-21-2020, 04:25 PM

I thought about FSP, I can still do drivers' side and flip it inside out, right? There's considerable difference from side to side but it would give me information. Good idea, thanks Ken.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:40 PM

If you could make a paper pattern of the opposite side along with making real profiles (not an FSP) of the opposite side would be the place to start. That would give you all the info you need and be able to check the progress. Make profiles of the entire shape and do what the profiles tell you. I also think you are trying to put too much shape in it with shrinking without doing enough stretching in the middle of the part. You need to stretch the area adjacent to the area you are trying to get to "roll around". Can't do that with shrinking alone.

Peter T talks about something similar in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7eAwO-BGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa3r...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-22-2020, 06:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

Hi you could mock something up with welding rods bit like a wire form to get a nice flow and shape tack it to the job then take your patterns from that and that should give you the info you need and you can also use it to check your progress as you shape
Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Oj. I used 3x2.5 wire + hot melt glue. That's enough to make a paper template. For design proposal too.
I used a more durable glue for this fiber, but I usually use hot melt. I will use some wires again for another action. The glue can be peeled off by hand.

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...t=18279&page=2
Old 05-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

OJ, try a Burt Buck and FSP

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...ight=Burt+buck