All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 PM

I'm getting excited. At my age that might not be good! If we pull this off
I can bring an E wheel ,a small planishing hammer,shrinker/strecher and a
beefed up hf bead roller.Let's get together in December like Mark suggested and maybe we can start planning a meet.
Jim D
Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Auburn sounds good to me. Just keep in mined that I worked 6 days a week, so all I have is Sunday. Butch
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Just do it. The first regional I went to was Doug Walter's. After that, I hosted a few North of 49 meets, and had them at a buddy's as he had twice as much shop as I did. You don't need a lot of stuff, just enthusiasm. The first year won't be perfect but just go ahead and do it. It will put itself together.
You will need a porta potty. You will need to have at the very least a donations jar. Most guys are pretty good with helping out with the costs. You don't need to do anything for food if you are close to restaurants. Keep it simple, unless someone wants to take that under their wing.

What you will need is an english wheel or two or three, some sandbangs and some hammers. Just basic stuff. Doug Walter came to my first meet and brought a third of his shop. ( He has 3 of everything.)
One thing that I regretted was telling a bunch of friends about it and we had a LOT of people stop by just to have a look. That got a little distracting at times. Keep it simple, people will show up, you'll have a great time, learn a lot from each other, and you'll know what to do next time.
Have fun. You never know people might just drive there from 600 miles away or more.

To answer a couple of your questions Ben. If you are hosting it, you can decide if you want to do more than one day. A lot of the original meets were only 1 day. You won't know what kind of turnout you are going to have until people start to respond. Don't worry if you only get a few people that show up. You will not regret it. You might have to put a cap on it if you feel its getting too big, or the response is overwhelming. You have a finite amount of space under a roof, in an area that a lot of water falls out of the sky. Keep that in mind. Where I am, we can spill outside most of the time, doesn't rain much. Your first year I wouldn't worry about trying to entertain people. Most will work on projects late into the evening, then go for supper and start again early. At my meets, a bunch of us met for breakfast at a restaurant at 7:00 AM, then went and got after it.

Last edited by jvo; 11-16-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
anyone up for another BS session in early December? Last time was in Milton -- but any interest if we moved it to Auburn or Des Moines or Tukwila for pre-holiday cheer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dyreson View Post
I'm getting excited. At my age that might not be good! If we pull this off
I can bring an E wheel ,a small planishing hammer,shrinker/strecher and a
beefed up hf bead roller.Let's get together in December like Mark suggested and maybe we can start planning a meet.
Jim D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Duke View Post
Auburn sounds good to me. Just keep in mined that I worked 6 days a week, so all I have is Sunday. Butch
I could do some research for a large table somewhere in Auburn. I work in Auburn. Butch Sunday is fine with me, others?
Although I am out on the 4th (plans)
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM

A Sunday in December works for me. Gone around Xmas time.
-Mark
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Thumbs up Possible North West Meet

Hi guys,

I see the idea of a "metal shaping gathering" getting some traction. In reading the posts so far it seems Ben has enough space for 25-50 people? to gather around in the covered areas and work/learn. If you look at the pictures of past meets in Santa Cruz the amount of space seems fine for that size group.

Things I think about that haven't been mentioned so far would be;
1. Tables to work on
2. Renting a large coffee maker? and have a fee/jar for coffee supplies and soda/waters.
3. Lighting? Maybe a string of bulbs suspended is enough? extra power cords/splitters.
4. Parking(seems fine but I don't know if I'm looking at the driveway or a road?)
5. Metal- CRS and Aluminum sheets, and a shear?
6. Trash cans and scrap cans for the metal

If we can come up with a wish list of equipment, that would be helpful to others that might be able to bring some of the listed items.

Also West Coast Metal Shapers is a resource I haven't yet seen mentioned?
http://www.westcoastmetalshapers.com/forum/

I'm in Calif. but I'd gladly drive to Washington for a meet of any size! I'm willing to show up early too to help with setup (build tables, string power/lights, etc.) I have lots of construction experience and a little shaping experience but lots of energy to help me learn more.

Having just been to the Oblong "metalshapers gathering" in Illinois, I can say that it doesn't take much in the way of "stuff' to put on a meet but more event organization and enthusiasm for what you want to have happen! That and some "experts" to help the rest of us is undeniably at the top of the list.

There's been a lot of discussions/threads regarding how best to put on a meet in other forums, but I think so far the approach I've read on this thread is heading in the right direction. It'll be whatever you make it, aim high!

Let me know if there's anything I can do from here to help.

Ken

415-250-4851
kloomis@me.com

Last edited by kloomis; 11-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Default link to Santa Cruz meet

Here's the link to the Santa Cruz meet coming up here in Calif. I thought it might help get some ideas of what to expect and plan for.

http://www.westcoastmetalshapers.com...5110#post65110

Ken

415-250-4851
kloomis@me.com
Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
I could do some research for a large table somewhere in Auburn. I work in Auburn. Butch Sunday is fine with me, others?
Although I am out on the 4th (plans)
Keep me in the loop and I will try to come. Free time is hard to come by right now with full time work and full time school but Ill see if I can make it.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloomis View Post

Things I think about that haven't been mentioned so far would be;
1. Tables to work on
2. Renting a large coffee maker? and have a fee/jar for coffee supplies and soda/waters.
3. Lighting? Maybe a string of bulbs suspended is enough? extra power cords/splitters.
4. Parking(seems fine but I don't know if I'm looking at the driveway or a road?)
5. Metal- CRS and Aluminum sheets, and a shear?
6. Trash cans and scrap cans for the metal

Ken

I have one heavy welding table with a 1/2" top. 2 large tables with plywood tops, and a smaller metal table with a couple vices on it.

I really don't want to spend my time during this cooking ( I want to be learning) so restaurants would be better for peoples meals. There are several within a 10-15 minute drive.

The main shop is decently lit and I will probably get a few more lights up before then. The outer drive through portion of the shop will probably be about half usable. I am not sure. I have 2 campers consuming most of it now but I am hoping they will be gone during the summer months. Maybe we could use some of it but there is only one dim light out there as of right now and no other power run out there. That section does not have a cement floor, just gravel.

I have several extension chords.

I have a Milwaukee hand held power shear and a couple tin snips. I really have almost no sheet metal or sheet aluminum. I see this as the biggest issue beacause I doubt I will have several hundred dollars to drop on sheet metal in advance of the meet.

I have a 55 gallon drum we can throw scrap in. Larger scrap can just get tossed in a pile behind the shop.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo View Post
Just do it. The first regional I went to was Doug Walter's. After that, I hosted a few North of 49 meets, and had them at a buddy's as he had twice as much shop as I did. You don't need a lot of stuff, just enthusiasm. The first year won't be perfect but just go ahead and do it. It will put itself together.
You will need a porta potty. You will need to have at the very least a donations jar. Most guys are pretty good with helping out with the costs. You don't need to do anything for food if you are close to restaurants. Keep it simple, unless someone wants to take that under their wing.

What you will need is an english wheel or two or three, some sandbangs and some hammers. Just basic stuff. Doug Walter came to my first meet and brought a third of his shop. ( He has 3 of everything.)
One thing that I regretted was telling a bunch of friends about it and we had a LOT of people stop by just to have a look. That got a little distracting at times. Keep it simple, people will show up, you'll have a great time, learn a lot from each other, and you'll know what to do next time.
Have fun. You never know people might just drive there from 600 miles away or more.

To answer a couple of your questions Ben. If you are hosting it, you can decide if you want to do more than one day. A lot of the original meets were only 1 day. You won't know what kind of turnout you are going to have until people start to respond. Don't worry if you only get a few people that show up. You will not regret it. You might have to put a cap on it if you feel its getting too big, or the response is overwhelming. You have a finite amount of space under a roof, in an area that a lot of water falls out of the sky. Keep that in mind. Where I am, we can spill outside most of the time, doesn't rain much. Your first year I wouldn't worry about trying to entertain people. Most will work on projects late into the evening, then go for supper and start again early. At my meets, a bunch of us met for breakfast at a restaurant at 7:00 AM, then went and got after it.
Someone would have to bring the english wheel. I am planning to build one but it probably will not be done by then. I think 20 would be a good limit for a first time. It might get a little to hectic beyond that. There is plenty of parking. What you see is the driveway and it loops all the way around the house. I am all for the eating at restaurants so I can spend my time learning instead of hosting, but if someone wants to cook I have a nice gas grill.