All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Peter Tommasini Semminar - Adelaide 24/25 March 2012

Hi Guys...

Firstly If this is in the wrong spot I'm sorry and could someone please move it.

I would just like to share with everyone the great and informative time I had with Peter Tommasini at his Hand Built metal shapping semminar on the weekend. I dont have any pics just yet but some should be getting e-mailed to me from another guest of the seminar.

As soon as I walked in the door (A little early) Peter came over along with the shop owner Rob and introduced themselvs and handed me my paperwork and a free set of Peters Hand Built DVD's 1,2, and 3. This first greeting along with the way Peter interacted with me and his guests all weekend made me feel like we had been good friends for a long time. The instruction was informal at times where we all crowded around the work bench watching Peter move the metal around a panel and other times we all sat back on our chairs why Peter did something a little larger that we could see from a distance.

It was held at Adelaide Hills Panel Works who looked after us all very well. Rob the owner had put alot of effort into clearing his shop and cleaning up(the place was spotless) and making it an easy place to work in. Rob had a sample of cars around from old Valiants that they had replaced quarters and alot of other panels on to an Austin 7 wasps and some other cars of that vintage. Rob and his staff cooked a massive lunch both days that was included in the fee with more than plenty to eat along with free soft drinks and coffee all day.

The instruction was based around the beginner home hobbyist. everything was shown first how to create a shape by hand first before moving on to show an easyier way if you had the tools like a wheel/ shrinker-stretchers. Peter even gave a demo on the pullmax to show how quickly shape can be made with the correct tools. Peter was very flexiable with what he was showing us allowing for people to ask and adapt the lesson to what they wanted to get out of it. One of the students who was interested in vintage and rare tractors even brought two old grills in so Peter could show him the correct way to repair them and another person brought a whole firewall to ask Peters opinion.

Some of the things Peter covered were (but not limited to):
-Producing convex shapes
-Puckering, Shrinking and stretching
-Producing a sprint guard
-Wheeling
-Lead wiping of ally and steel
-Welding of ally and steel
-Setting swage lines
-Making fuel filler indentations
-Producing rust repair sections
-Wire edging
-Paper patterns

And I'm sure I have forgoten some things. Now not all of these we had time to practice and some were just demos but Peters tools were always there so if in the lesson we didn't get a chance to have a small go or to get Peter to watch us and make sure we were doing it correctly we were more than able to do it in one of the breaks. This semminar is really "You get out of it, what you put into it". Go in balls and all and have a go, ask questions even if they sound silly. I know I did.

Also I forgot to metion Peters two sons came over to help and provided some great amusment aswell. They mainly helped Peter running around doing odd things and standing at the table where Peter had all his tools and DVD's he produces for sale. The qualitly of Peters tools are incrediable. I know if I had a few $$$ spare I would have brought one of everything (but I'm a tool whore ). Now one thing I will metions is Peter never pushed any of his tools, and never rubbished anyone elses. They were they just so people could see them and buy them if they wanted. You even got a discount on something and didn't need to pay postage either keeping the cost down.

I had a great time, It was a pleasure to meet you Peter. I would love to make it to Melbourne on day to come visit your shop. If you ever come back to Adelaide for another semminar please let me know I will come again. and bring more money with me for you tools.

Cheers Dale
(Pics to come)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2010, Dec 2011, Nov 2014, Feb 2016, March 2021

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the update good to hear you had a good time.

Scott
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

HI Dale I am glad you enjoyed the seminar, if you need any help do not hesitate to ask

Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM

No problems Peter.

Thanks Dale
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Peter has a true passion for metalshaping & like myself, just loves to share it.

Though we run similar ones ourselves, often with the same guys coming back, building on their skills each time. One day is never enough

It's interesting to hear about the workshop & I know of Rob's commitment too!

Thanks for sharing.
(Waiting for pics )