All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default New Coach Building Apprenticeship Opportunity

I just got back from Tunisia where I met Mohamed Awadi and toured his soon-to-open restoration/training facility.

Some of you are familiar with Mohamed's remarkable work on mostly French automobiles from the golden era, notably Delahaye's, Bugattis, and Delages, some of which was done on the olive machine described in Tim Barton's first book.

Mohamed is moving his shop from Lyons, France to Tunis, Tunisia and dramatically expanding it. It will be a full-service, one-stop restoration house. From wreck to concours with a price, and delivery date certain. He has already hired a crew of 15 and some of them are well-known figures in the European restoration scene. Most will be permanently based in Tunis, but some will split time between their shops in France and Italy, and Tunis.

APPRENTICESHIP/ COACH BUILDING COURSE:

Mohamed is also offering what I see as THE BEST course in learning coachbuilding... a 9 month intensive, immersive program which is based on the TRADITIONAL apprenticeship programs that were common in Europe up until the mid-1970s. For instance, hand tools ONLY the first three months. The apprentice must learn how to make every complex shape with a hammer and dolly BEFORE transitioning to power hammers.

Student apprentices will live in an apartment complex with Mohamed's other employees and be provided with ROOM, BOARD, TRANSPORTATION, and TUITION for 1,000 Euros per month...total being 9,000 Euros. Repeat: Room, board, transport, and tuition for 1,000 per month (about $1,300 per month).

During the last three months of the program students will be working directly on the current shop projects, the first of which is a '39 Talbot-Lago Gout d'Eau valued at $5million.

MOST of us on this forum are probably past the stage where we want to move somewhere for 9 months, but if you know a younger person who is SERIOUS about becoming a coach builder, this is one heck of a great opportunity.

What is living in Tunisia like? The country is "2nd World meets Hawaii." My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time there and found the people to be friendly, mostly modern, and kind hearted...much in the traditional Italian vein.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more info, or need to contact Mohamed. Mohamed speaks English badly, but most of his crew are English speakers and the course can be taught in a variety of European languages, including French, Italian, German, Swedish, Russian, and English.

IMG_8258.jpg
Mohamed and his European sales manager, Kader Yacei, who is based in Paris, speak to a car owner at the Tunisian Historic Races last week.

IMG_8302.jpg
The restoration facility is about 60K square feet and will include a paint booth and interior trim shop. The photo shows me to the right of Mohamed (scarf) as well as my wife on the extreme right.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 PM

If only I was 50 years younger.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
If only I was 50 years younger.
me too well 45 years younger
Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

That is a very good idea, I hope that many Young kids will join and learn properly from someone very talented like our friend Mohamed, and let's keep this trade alive!

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Bravo. Serious metal working course - and starts with hand tools. Ideal.
Hope he makes a big success. Tunis I've heard good things about Tunis from folks going back to the 1930's - I worked on an old ex-GP Alfa that was hidden in the sand there during WW2....

Go Mohamed.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM

This clourses is interesting to me . Of course , earlier is better than later , and 10-15 years ago certainly I was ready, but why not? When do Mohammad plan to start classes ? The irony of the situation is that last week my partner offered me to organize a weekend course in our workshop for those interested in metal shaping. I began to think about the program of classes , and realized that I needed to see how more experienced teachers do it . Another question - is it possible to divide these classes into 2 or 3 to 3 months ?

Last edited by Oleg Zubkov; 11-06-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Zubkov View Post
This clourses is interesting to me . Of course , earlier is better than later , and 10-15 years ago certainly I was ready, but why not? When do Mohammad plan to start classes ? The irony of the situation is that last week my partner offered me to organize a weekend course in our workshop for those interested in metal shaping. I began to think about the program of classes , and realized that I needed to see how more experienced teachers do it . Another question - is it possible to divide these classes into 2 or 3 to 3 months ?

Oleg, Mohamed said that he will work with you meet your needs. He will write to you directly.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 AM

Hey all,

A bit late to the party...

Does Mohamed have a website I can visit?

This looks kinda sorta like a dream come true...

Thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 01:54 PM

Quick look on Google found this photo page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwwhan...com/4048082384
Old 03-30-2021, 04:51 PM

First of all, that work looks gorgeous.

These are all 2010, I'm going to try digging in, but if anybody has a lead, any info is welcome