All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-11-2020, 12:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Miura Station Buck Assembled

I had some space open up in my garage and I could use some shape information/measurements in the door area so I decided it was time to assemble the complete Miura station buck. As a reminder, this station buck is composed of 4 modules and I’d only assembled 2 of those modules to-date.

Main body module:

Rear clip module:

I haven’t mounted the rear opening hammer form yet. It will take some work to figure out how best to do that so I’ll wait until it’s needed to do it.

Complete station buck:

There’s a bit of conflict between the legs on main body module and rocker panel module. The rocker panel module is sitting about 2 or 3 inches aft of where it should be until I do some cutting on stations to remove the conflict. My gut feeling is that I’ll most likely use these modules separately anyway so I decided not to break out the saw just yet.

It took about a day and a half to assemble the station buck. It took this time because all the joining slots needed to have the ends squared out, CNC router bits only make rounded corners. Stations in curved body areas needed to have edges round off with router. The station center defines body skin height and station edges in curved areas were above body outline, in other words too high.

My impression now that the entire buck is assembled is that the car’s overall length and width will be bigger than I was expecting. That’s not a bad thing; it’s just that I hadn’t yet formed a visual in my head for the actual size of a 105% Muira. Looking at a 3D model rendition on a computer screen doesn’t really give you a feel for the actual size of the car.

I had been looking at an original Muira SV last week, knew mine would be larger and now that I have a visual, it’s clear how much larger. I did take overall length and width measurements from the station buck and they are spot on for what they should be. I guess this really shows yet another value from having a full station buck prior to shaping up the body panels. I will now have a more realistic visual in my head as to what the actual panel size should be.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I looks great Joel.
Hope it doesn't get tossed in the end as maybe a gallery or motor museum might be interested in displaying it.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I looks great Joel.
Hope it doesn't get tossed in the end as maybe a gallery or motor museum might be interested in displaying it.
Thanks Marcus. It would be great to find a good use for it when I'm done. I'd love to pass it along to someone else who was building a Miura but I doubt there's many people crazy enough to try that
Old 01-13-2022, 12:23 AM

Post Packing Up the Miura Station Buck

If you've been following the Miura build thread, you probably know I'm moving to a new state/town and thus everything in my workshop including the Miura project needs to get re-located. As part of our move preparation, I had to figure out the best way to pack up the full Miura sized station buck for the 722 mile journey to its new home. Some quick measurements showed that the extra long pallet left over from the shipping of the Coyote engine/drive train parts would be just the right size. In a few hours, the station buck was disassembled and like a giant puzzle packed flat on the pallet.

From this:

To this:

It turns out one of the benefits of a wooden station buck is that it can be made compact for transport to a different location. A wire frame buck with welded joints most likely would need to be transported full sized. When I started down the path of creating this station buck, I didn’t foresee this move coming and thus didn’t factor the need to move it into the equation. I guess you could say that I got lucky in my choice of station buck style and materials such that it could be a small part of a trailer load and not the whole trailer load.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:01 AM

Once the move is made and your Miura project is finished -- hopefully there will be room in the workshop to display the wooden buck from the ceiling or a wall with some bracketry as artwork for years to come...