All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-24-2018, 12:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Default Trip to Alaska 1976 and 1978.

I had a friend. He it was be a big spirit. At a time when he could not travel in 1976. He negotiated a trip to the USA. In Prague, he dismantled "Tatra 12" and load through the small door to the plane Ilyushin.Small car with wooden bodywork from 1929, engine power 12 hp. In New York Airport at the airport he assembled the car it and drove to the Alaska highway.
A truck hit the back of his car. Gathering what's left, he took the car to Prague. 2 years in a two-room flat in the middle of Prague in a panel house in a residential area (in the children's room) he repaired the car. The last assembly was in front of the house in the parking lot between parked cars. In 1978. He rejoined Alaska again with his friend and Tatra 12 in Alaska and "back". In the month of August passed the Death Valley ...... with these two-cylinder air cooled engines with a power of 12 HP. Later he wrote the book about it. He wrote the book "Immortal 12 HP". He had already died, but it was a real a big hard ghost. I created a separate thread. I had to.
Any knows about this road that was in honor of the 1907 one race and won the Thomas Flyer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHWk1Xd54I

_vyr_1611nesmrtelnych_12_HP_titul.jpg
The man on left Míla Urban. He died in 2010.

mila.JPG

mila01.JPG

mila02.JPG

Last edited by Jaroslav; 09-24-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I had a friend. He it was be a big spirit. At a time when he could not travel in 1976. He negotiated a trip to the USA. In Prague, he dismantled "Tatra 12" and load through the small door to the plane Ilyushin.Small car with wooden bodywork from 1929, engine power 12 hp. In New York Airport at the airport he assembled the car it and drove to the Alaska highway.
A truck hit the back of his car. Gathering what's left, he took the car to Prague. 2 years in a two-room flat in the middle of Prague in a panel house in a residential area (in the children's room) he repaired the car. The last assembly was in front of the house in the parking lot between parked cars. In 1978. He rejoined Alaska again with his friend and Tatra 12 in Alaska and "back". In the month of August passed the Death Valley ...... with these two-cylinder air cooled engines with a power of 12 HP. Later he wrote the book about it. He wrote the book "Immortal 12 HP". He had already died, but it was a real a big hard ghost. I created a separate thread. I had to.
Any knows about this road that was in honor of the 1907 one race and won the Thomas Flyer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHWk1Xd54I

Attachment 48865
The man on left Míla Urban. He died in 2010.

Attachment 48866

Attachment 48867

Attachment 48868

That is the Czech spirit, Jaro.
This is just one man of many like him. Great perseverance and "how-to" energy!
Yes, I know about the "Round the World Thomas Flyer" because I worked at HAC (Harrah's Auto Collection") where the car was obtained and cleaned up and displayed, and I looked at that car many times - and that some of the men who knew the car in person on that long trip came to HAC and to see the car and verify where they carved their initials or names in the wooden fenders, in Siberia or Tashkent or .... Fantastic voyage around the world in 1908.
i523601.jpg
1907_thomas_flyer.jpg
(photos from The National Auto Museum, Reno Nevada)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 09-24-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

The way is a goal. The world is connected through some people more than we think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Urban v Harrah na Thomas Flyer.jpg (40.9 KB, 16 views)