All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Default Cheaper sanding discs cost more

Been going through too many sanding discs lately so I decided to pony up for the ceramic ones by 3M (especially since Jegs has them on sale...and free shipping over $100). The sanding discs I was getting locally were about $0.95 each and I would have used about three doing what I did tonight. The sale price on these 3M's worked out to just over $1.50 each. I'm still on the first one and it's still going strong. I think these are going to be another of those "getting what you paid for" type things. Should have bought these long time ago.

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 09-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Robert what brand were the other disks? Are you using them to sand what? Or are you using them to grind welds? I know the cheap disks one can find a the automotive swap meets are no bargain. I know in the past we have used a lot of the 3m green disks and the edge does not hold up to well. So I have been trying to find something else to use.

When you type I listen. You are a master when it comes to finishing off your welds and making things blend in. I on the other hand am a butcher when it comes to making welds disappear .
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Mark, I have been using the standard SAIT discs because that is what my local welding supply carried. They were being used both for dressing welds and finishing metal after cutting operations (i.e.: pullmax dies, etc) I have used the Green Corps, and also Norton Blaze. In both cases it seems the edge deteriorates too quickly. These Cubitron's seemed much better all around, definitely lasting much longer..

Old 09-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Wait, you like the purple from 3m better than the orange blaze from Norton?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM

From what I've seen so far, yes.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanks Robert. Do you take the weld down with anything else first before you hit it with the disks? I know stop putting such a big weld on so there is not so much to grind! I live in an area where I have to drive to find supplies when I want them now. So I end up getting that I can find.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Been going through too many sanding discs lately so I decided to pony up for the ceramic ones by 3M (especially since Jegs has them on sale...and free shipping over $100). The sanding discs I was getting locally were about $0.95 each and I would have used about three doing what I did tonight. The sale price on these 3M's worked out to just over $1.50 each. I'm still on the first one and it's still going strong. I think these are going to be another of those "getting what you paid for" type things. Should have bought these long time ago.

Right on, Robert.
When I finally got onto them I was deeply appreciative.
And the Trizact.
And the cubic zirc/ceram combo - those can also cut!
(For my experience, from 1970, 3M = Minn. Mining and Monopoly, with cleverly-worked product "enhancements" ...grrr... but some things they do are really worth the $$$!)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastuart View Post
Thanks Robert. Do you take the weld down with anything else first before you hit it with the disks? I know stop putting such a big weld on so there is not so much to grind! I live in an area where I have to drive to find supplies when I want them now. So I end up getting that I can find.
I have found that TIG helps to take down the weld size ......but for MIG I would get rid of the bulk (to just above surface) with a cutoff wheel perpendicular to the weld, and then finish with the roloc sander. Keep cutoff wheel moving back and forth so it doesn't cut grooves... The 1/16 x 3" works well, the minimal contact patch keeps heat buildup to a minimum.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Those purple discs were way better when they had the plastic backing.... to bad they didn't have the rights to keep using it.

For those that don't already know.... you can trim these discs down as they wear out.. by running the edge of the disc against the edge of sheet metal. That way your edge always has sharp media.