All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Default What do you suppose this machine is?

Here's an image of a machine used years ago at Parks Air College, perhaps 30's. Thus, it is aviation purposed. What do you suppose it is/does?
Obviously electric drive. Shaft to upper half so something there creates vertical motion Pullmax style. Reciprocating? Not sure. Rivet setter? Possibly. Punch? Another option.
What about the lower half? Seems like there could be provision for a lower rotary shaft driven via chain off of upper shaft as evidenced by the casting clearances that would otherwise not serve a purpose structurally to machine frame. Top and bottom movement? Simultaneously? Selectively?
I suspect it is not much more than a rivet setter or punch but it appears so complicated and massive for the type of materials used in the aviation trades of this era. I would also imagine pneumatic drives were well established around this time.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Evidently this is a basic nibbler. That is the feed mechanism below there. That had me all cornfused!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Looks like it's being operated by a ghost.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM

The ghost of shapers past.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM

Heavy fly wheel large diameter shaft hand lever above stripper plate and a catch box below leads me to think it is a punch.
Mike
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluchip View Post
Here's an image of a machine used years ago at Parks Air College, perhaps 30's. Thus, it is aviation purposed. What do you suppose it is/does?
Obviously electric drive. Shaft to upper half so something there creates vertical motion Pullmax style. Reciprocating? Not sure. Rivet setter? Possibly. Punch? Another option.
What about the lower half? Seems like there could be provision for a lower rotary shaft driven via chain off of upper shaft as evidenced by the casting clearances that would otherwise not serve a purpose structurally to machine frame. Top and bottom movement? Simultaneously? Selectively?
I suspect it is not much more than a rivet setter or punch but it appears so complicated and massive for the type of materials used in the aviation trades of this era. I would also imagine pneumatic drives were well established around this time.

Motor below at the rear of the frame - drive belts up to a rotating shaft above, catch box - I'd say it is a punch and die nibbler for cutting out blanks of aluminum sheet. Not a riveter or a dimpler or a beading or edging machine. The lever above the operator's head engages and desengages the punch head.

My American Chain and Cable Campbell is similar but is fabbed of heavy (5" plate), about that throat depth, but much heavier and will do 1/4" stainless and down to 24ga galv. Also has a release on the upper punch, but not the lever.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 AM

It would indeed appear a W.J. Savage nibbler. I was unaware of a nibbler having an integral feed mechanism which explains the lower shaft in initial post query. This video is a smaller version but the cast frame and similar gusset pattern give evidence to the lineage. Interesting feed mechanism.

https://youtu.be/HrrpJ-X-ETo

Here's a similar appearing unit:

Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_pIwfHMNA

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 09-07-2016, 06:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

I think the mystery is now solved.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.