All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Default Flux nuetralizer?

I'm considering torch welding a structural panel to the underside of my aluminum bonnet. This panel also serves to close the scoops thereby making the intake conduit for my turbos. When done I won't be able to brush clean leftover flux or even see. Is there a liquid nuetralizer that will remove flux potentially, in pits or even not full penetration cracks, without scrubbing?

Or is this ideal opportunity to Tig weld?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

I should have looked before posting this. I see this question was answered dozen threads back.

Thank you
Bill Tromblay
Kent White
Old 07-14-2019, 10:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

As long as it's a new thread, I have a different flux neutralizer question that I not have seen asked/answered.

What do others do about cross contamination issue getting aluminum welding flux on steel implements during the fixture, adjustment and welding process to minimize rust? Some things are more portable and easier to wash. Cleaning a steel table is more of a challenge. No matter, any missed spots rust like mad and it often seems like I have only diluted the flux & spread it around vs actually removing it. it doesn't seem like related discussions ever mention such things.

If it's just one of those things requiring anal perfection, fine. I'm used to sanitation in a professional kitchen.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:10 PM

Wipe the table with a phosphoric acid based metal prep, let it sit for a bit,
wipe it again until the brown rust stain goes away, then I spray it with alcohol, dry it with paper towels, a wipe with WD-40 and forget it till you weld with flux again. ----- I think that was the longest sentence I have ever written.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:57 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

My weld table, has the 5/8" holes for fixture work, that was made out of steel. I had a new top laser cut out of stainless to prevent the rust. Maybe over kill by some standards but works great for flux clean up. We Tig weld, Aerospace, Medical and Food grade parts on the same table, so cleanleness is very important.

For the hand tools that get flux on them, I wipe them down with water soaked rag and coat with LPS-3 oil, that we use for aircraft work. The LPS-3 waxes over for a nice protective coat.

To help with rust in general, I coat the tools with Johnson paste wax. I also sent some of my tools out for cadnium plating. Aircraft steel component are cad plate for corrosion prevention and you get charged minimums based on weight, so I add in some of my hand tools to get the best use of a minimum charge.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Thank you, sirs. This is helpful.

I do keep Johnson wax for studio work and use it on other equipment in another building. I'll get a second can to supplement the can of LPS already on the shelf & not far from the bottle of Ospho...
Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default neutralizing aluminum gas welding flux

Specifically to the question about neutralizing AGW flux in hard-to-reach areas - I use a 25% phosphoric with either a brush or a pump spray.

(Must for Rust has been my go-to for many years)
It will etch steel and aluminum, so I wipe it quickly before it dulls any polished areas. It helps bond primer coats, also - when wiped dry.
I also use it to rinse aluminum fuel tanks that have been gas welded, as a standard shop routine.

-end-

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.